Shift problem on a late 80's alpha

mestey2004

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all,<br /><br />I have just installed a late 80's alpha on my home built boat and I am having trouble with the shifting. It will go into gear just fine, but wont come out (forward and reverse) . I was able to get it to shift ok if reduced the idol down to lower than 600, but it was still difficult and the engine didnt want to start cold after. Could this just be caused by a high idol? <br /><br />I adjusted the shift cable like this: I shifted the drive manually into forward and then adjusted the shift cable to that position. did I do that right or is there something Im missing? :confused:

Trent

Captain
Re: Shift problem on a late 80's alpha

Is your shift interrupt switch hooked up?

mestey2004

Seaman Apprentice

Errrrrr... What? What is the shift interupt switch?<br /><br />Is there some sort of electric shift?<br /><br />THanks!<br />m

mestey2004

Seaman Apprentice

I do remember seeing something like that, but there was no where for the wires to go.

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

as Trent asked, you need the shift interrupt switch is cuts the motor out for a quick moment, so you can shift back out of gear, are you using a marine engine with the marine wiring? you need to refer to a manual since we are not sure what you have..

Trent

Captain

Shift switch is wired to the coil and then to ground to kill the engine for 1/2 a second to help you get it out of gear. This is your problem.