Shift Linkage ?

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class
In an attempt to replace my impeller I took apart the lower case on my Nissan NS8B outboard.

I had a friend over to help and we may have made a move we shouldn't have made. The unit wouldn't budget from the shift linkage after we removed the pin so he removed the bolt from the lower part and pulled the linkage out from inside the case.

Now I'm putting it all back together and I have no idea how I could put that linkage back properly.

Attachments

• 2011-02-19 12.51.07.jpg
    2011-02-19 12.51.07.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 2011-02-19 12.51.34.jpg
    2011-02-19 12.51.34.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 2011-02-19 12.51.22.jpg
    2011-02-19 12.51.22.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 0

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Shift Linkage ?

Couple of thoughts here: First, it would be a great idea to have a copy of the Factory service manual on hand, which explains all this. The manual is available from any dealer, including me: Part # 003-21035-1 $42.47. Second, if you are going to the effort to drop the LU for WP service, I strongly recommend replacing the WP kit, Part # 3B2873221M $40.83, instead of merely the impeller. Reason is that the kit includes the cup and wear plate, which have critical side clearances (only a couple of thousandths makes a huge difference in pumping). Changing only the impeller results in a shorter life between WP service intervals -- and you have already done all the labor anyway.

Now then... since you have pulled out the shift cam, you will need to get it reinstalled, but probably can't get it to slide past the push rod in the end of the prop shaft. So... Drain the LU, remove the propeller, pull out the prop shaft housing by removing the two bolts at the collar near the prop), reinsert the cam rod with the cam (and attach the retainer/bolt), and then reinstall the prop shaft housing. Extracting the prop shaft housing may require a fair amount of effort, depending on how long it has been since it was last apart, and how much salt/crud is corroding away at it. And be careful, as the push rod and associated ball can drop out when you extract the prop shaft. Once it's all back together, you can refill the LU.

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Shift Linkage ?

I used the Water Pump repair kit that you mentioned for this service. I DO need a copy of the service manual and don't have much excuse for not yet having it. I also need one for my evinrude so I guess I should order those straight away.

I guess I'll be learning a lot more about how the lower unit works next weekend when I go through fixing this. arrghh...luckily I'm running the Evinrude on my boat so this motor is basically okay for me wrench around on and get a bit familiar with how these things operate.

Thanks for the part #'s, do you have a link to a website where I can order those manuals from you?