Shift linkage on inline

kblackav8or

Cadet
I pulled the lower on the mystery inline to rebuild the water pump. I believe I pulled it off in forward gear. The lower gear shift shaft has no resistence, i.e. doesn't feel like it is moving anything now. It is definitely in gear. I moved the shaft on the lower into the middle (neutral position) but it doesn't feel like I shifted anything. Same with the upper shift lever. What did I do wrong?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Shift linkage on inline

When those boxes are in FORWARD the shift shaft can move around quite a lot. What I do is set the box in NEUTRAL, the control lever also in NEUTRAL and assembly like that.... To find NEUTRAL in the box, Turn the propshaft CW... If it clicks (ratchetting over on the dog clutch) it's in FORWARD. Now, turn the shift shaft CCW while putting light pressure on the prop CCW. The shift shaft will click into NEUTRAL and the propshaft will spin freely. You will need to use a tool on the shift shaft, you won't be able to turn it with your fingers....

Chris.....

kblackav8or

Cadet

So if I am in forward, and I reinstall the lower with the shift linkage in forward position, I should be ok? I could spin that little shaft about 90 degrees with it pretty loose. I will drop the lower and tinker with it some more until I get proper response.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

So if I am in forward, and I reinstall the lower with the shift linkage in forward position, I should be ok? I could spin that little shaft about 90 degrees with it pretty loose. I will drop the lower and tinker with it some more until I get proper response.

No, don't install it in FORWARD. Turn the shift shaft until you get the box in NEUTRAL, move the control level to NEUTRAL and install it then.... If you try to install it in FORWARD, there is a very high likelihood you'll get the linkages wrong.

kblackav8or

Cadet

I got it fixed. The shaft had spun around 180 out. I tinkered with it, spun it back to neutral and after several attempts was able to get everything lined up and working properly. Thanks for the help. Next time should be easier.