Shift linkage adjustment

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class
The engine is a 92 Johnson 48SPL and shifts in and out of gear pretty good, but goes in a little late (too far forward on the handle) and I'd say a little early (don't have to move shift handle back hardly at all). I'm at the end of my adjustment under the cowl, so I'm wondering if there is more adjustment inside the mid section cover? There was one on the Force 50 that came off the boat, so I figure maybe the Johnson too? :confused:

ob

Admiral
Re: Shift linkage adjustment

There is no other adjustment besides the cable trunion.Unless your cable is grossly stretched out, try this.Place the engine controls in neutral(engine not running).Remove the cable linkage pin fromn the shift arm.While spinning the propeller with your foot(to prevent binding of gears) ,manually shift the engine from neutral to forward and finally back to neutral(using just the shift arm) ,feeling the detent.Now observe whether the pin holes in the shift arm and cable linkage is perfectly aligned.Adjust cable trunion until they are ,and reinsert pin.This should put the adjustment real close.If it still doesn't work ,I suspect your cable is worn out and will need replacing.Good luck.