Shift Linkage 1985 70 Rude VRO

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, I am doing a friend a favor and changing his water pump on A 1985 Evinrude 70hp VRO. I don't have a VRO on my same HP year motor. My question is do you need to take off all that VRO S*** to get to the Shift linkage?? Or is there a way to get to the bolt without doing all that?<br />steve

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Shift Linkage 1985 70 Rude VRO

Have the engine in reverse to lower that 3/8" hex head shoulder bolt to where you can see it. Use a 1/4" ratchet drive extension with a 1/4" drive flex universal socket (with a 3/8" hex socket of course) to loosen the screw. Remove (and install) the screw with a mechanics flexible finger grabbing tool.<br /><br />Note that the shift rod is threaded into the lower unit and that the measurement from the top surface of the lower unit to the center of the shift rod hole (in neutral) is critical. Be careful not to move it one way or the other!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Stinky, if ya' don't have the flexible fingers that Joe mentioned, put a piece of masking tape in the 3/8 socket to hold the screw as you remove and replace it.<br /><br />Luck!!!

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Thanks guys. I was hoping to get the trick.There are a mess of things on that side.<br />steve