Shift lever stuck on 1996 6hp Johnson

Scooch_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just got a 1996 6hp Johnson that runs very nice. It has not been used in 3 years. I checked over and greased up everything I could find, but the lever to put the engine in gear is really binding up on something. I can get it in forward, but have to use some encouragement to get it back out. Before I drop the lower unit to check it out further, does anyone have any suggestions of what to look at?<br /><br />Thanks!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Shift lever stuck on 1996 6hp Johnson

what mooner said was and is common. a little corrosion builds up on the shaft bushings and either it gets fixed then or after the handle is broken off. after sitting 3 years it needs a water pump anyway so while the unit is off see if the handle moves freely. if it does it may be the shift rod bushing in the gearcase.<br /> good luck and keep posting

Scooch_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, I ordered the impeller today, so next weekends project will be to put it in. I'm hoping that I can get the shifter to work a bit better at the same time.

Scooch_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I dropped the lower unit today and the shift lever is still binding up. I'm soaking as much as I can with penetrating oil hoping to save the fun of pulling the powerhead, but I'm guessing that's what I will have to do...

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yep<br /> its a pain but is a common problem. after the fix keep the fitting greased. good luck and keep posting

Scooch_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have not been able to get the power head off. I can't get access to one of the 6 bolts. My sockets and wrenches are too big. I did separate the engine from the steering bracket. Is there any way to get to the shift lever to clean and grease from there. I can get good access to the bottom now, but have not had any luck freeing it up any more.

Grant S

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had this problem on a 6 that I had. Spraying WD40 helped a little bit but the problem was solved for good after a stripdown. It took a lot of back and forth working to get it out.

Grant S

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Re the difficult bolt: I remember that problem which I solved by buying a cheapo ring spanner and carefully grinding the outside to fit. There is sometimes a use for those crappy cheap tools.