shift interuptor switch

renny1

Petty Officer 1st Class
hi guys
my last question before i can launch her (1999 3.0 l mercruiser)
i have just had the new shift interuptor switch installed and everytime it is plugged in it blows a fuse in the main box not the red switch one.is this a bad switch or dodgy wiring somewhere else

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: shift interuptor switch

What distributor do you have in your engine?

I've read a few of your other posts, and you seem to have a bunch of odd problems. Then there are things like Gen II drive, but a Gen I transom shield. Then you say you have a 99 engiine. Is it just the block that is 99 or everything. Wiring, ignition, carbs, etc.
Too many things not adding up, especially with this new question.

Bondo

Staff member

I've read a few of your other posts, and you seem to have a bunch of odd problems. Then there are things like Gen II drive, but a Gen I transom shield. Then you say you have a 99 engiine. Is it just the block that is 99 or everything. Wiring, ignition, carbs, etc.
Too many things not adding up, especially with this new question.

Ayuh,... Sounds like some of the Junkyard dogs I've put together....
Like when asked the Vintage of my current barge, the Best answer I can come up with is,...
It's Mostly 1980s...
or dodgy wiring somewhere

Ayuh,... That would be My guess....

renny1

Petty Officer 1st Class

lol it does sound funny when looked on that way Don..
just the engine which is a 99 including carbs wiring loom dizzy etc the only thing left from the old 86 engine is the clocks
the dizzy is a non points one

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the dizzy is a non points one

Assuming that means the Delco EST distirbutor, do you have the OEM service manual for it? #26 is the one you want. (see the Adults Only sticky if you don't have it) Then compare your wiring to how it should be.
There is no way just plugging the shift interrupt switch in can blow a fuse.

everytime it is plugged in it blows a fuse in the main box not the red switch one.

Still not sure what this main box is, and have to guess the red switch one is the circuit breaker on the engine.

jtybt

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Could be a combination of an old style interrupt switch which grounds the primary ignition circuit connected to bad primary wiring and grounding the ignition.