Shift cable's for alpha 1 Gen 1 ver Gen 2

rwxyz

Cadet
1984 Ranger with a 470 Motor SN 5039298

My Alpha 1 Gen 1 shift cable nut mounts from the front of the Bell Housing and the Alpha 1 Gen 2 new shift cable nut mounts from the back of the Bell Housing.

Question is Can I use the cable parts from a Alpha 1 Gen 2 Cable Kit with a "New" Alpha 1 Gen 1 Cable Housing?

2nd What size Allen wrench is needed to remove the Bell Housing from the Gimbal Housing?

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: Shift cable's for alpha 1 Gen 1 ver Gen 2

I dont believe that you can use any Gen II parts on a Gen I. Just get the right cable and your good. there are 2 styles for the Gen I, early and late. One goes in the front and one goes in the rear of the gimble housing. I cant remember which is which right now.

1/2 inch allen wrench will fit the pivot pins, but again, get the right tool. the correct one is 12 sided to fit the pins.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

1984 Ranger with a 470 Motor SN 5039298

My Alpha 1 Gen 1 shift cable nut mounts from the front of the Bell Housing and the Alpha 1 Gen 2 new shift cable nut mounts from the back of the Bell Housing.

Even the new gen I cables screw in from the 'back'. You need to get the tap and clean up the threads. Look in the Merc service manual for the right tap, it's a Merc special tool, but not that expensive.

rwxy said:
Question is Can I use the cable parts from a Alpha 1 Gen 2 Cable Kit with a "New" Alpha 1 Gen 1 Cable Housing?

Yes, they are the same cable... But it's not a good idea to 'part out' the kits. If you buy the whole cable, put the complete kit in....

rwxy said:
2nd What size Allen wrench is needed to remove the Bell Housing from the Gimbal Housing?

It's 1/2"(?), but not an Allen key, its a 12 point (hex?). You should use the Merc special tool for the job, again not expensive....

Chris...

Last edited:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There is no such thing as a Gen II lower shift cable, there is an old style (like you now have) and a newer style that you can have after retapping the hole in the bellhousing. You do need the the right tap to do the job, and forget about the websites that say you can. Do it wrong, and scrap your bellhousing.

attachment.php

EDIT: I see Chris was posting while I was typing (and watching TV) :facepalm:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Straight tap.jpg
    Straight tap.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Cable attachement.jpg
    Cable attachement.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 2

rwxyz

Cadet

Thanks for Ur support guys.

Note: information for future re-searcher.
1/4-18 4F Tap Mercruiser 91-95639

Mercury Mercruiser 12 Point Hinge Pin Tool 91-78310 for Alpha Bravo Gen One Two Three

cr2k

Captain

NAPA has the hinge pin tool PN 18-9861. The socket they sell for the front mount cable is 18-9806E and you might want to update to the newer shift bushings/seal 18-2622 while you are in there.