shift cable removal

dguess

Seaman Apprentice
I am trying to remove the stern drive, 1985 Galaxy 3.8L OMC stringer????
in the selco book it shows a different shift mechanism than what I have, it also shows a different one than what I have in the PDF from the Adults section. I am going to attempt to attach a picture of what I have. can some one tell me if the shift cable just plugs in or will I need to undo the wiring, If I can unplug I am assuming I can just do that were the tensioner pawls are located???
any help please, with a little explanation it would help for those of us trying real hard not to waste your time with more and more questions.

Attachments

• 060109185502.jpg
    060109185502.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 060109185530.jpg
    060109185530.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 0

Anchor Management 1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: shift cable removal

To remove the cable you need to take the plate off with the flat blade screws and there will be 2 cable cores in there,when you take the plate off you will see how to do it,it is easy.Then you will need to push in on the cable housing and remove the cotter pin,the cable will come out with a spring.

dguess

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks,

I will give it a try it just did not look right and i wanted to be sure.....Any other suggestions on removing the stern drive............

Anchor Management 1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Spray some sort of lube on the shift cable where it goes through the transom ,sometimes they can get stuck,Don't just start pulling on it.