Shift cable question

fotto

Cadet
Hi,
I have a 2007 FW Horizon 180 with Merc 4.3L, Alpha Gen II which just started having a shift issue, only when shifting into reverse the engine bogs. After shifting back to neutral and back to reverse a couple of times it seems to clear itself and doesn't happen again until after sitting for a week or more. This only occurs at first start up and resolved itself both times by moving into and out of gear 2-3 times.

Was trying to diagnose this today and noticed something at the rear shift cable/shift interrupter assembly that I was hoping to get clarification on...
is the adjustable nut supposed to be loose enough so that the end of that cable assemble can freely slide up and down in the slot, or should the nut be tightened to keep the assembly in the bottom of the slot? Mine is loose and can slide up and down the length of the slot. I can't seem to find confirmation either way in the online doc I found, and am thinking that the nut may have loosened and shouldn't be loose in the slot.

shiftcable.jpg

Re: Shift cable question

That is definately not suppose to move, it is part of the shift cable adjustment, once set it should be tightened down.

fotto

Cadet
Re: Shift cable question

Thanks. Based on the instructions in the shift cable adjustment .pdf I was reading, it seemed to indicate that it should be in the bottom position to start, and that if the cable was extra long or large amount of bends, there is an adjustment procedure to locate it at the appropriate point in the slot so that the shift cutout switch plunger button is located in the center. I'll probably secure the nut in the lower point of the slot and go from there. It's a little odd though that it's loose to begin with...seems like it's pretty tight on the threads to begin with (just tested with my fingers), which is what made me question it.