shift cable mis-thread and stuck

badognobisc

Cadet
I installed a new shift cable for a gm 5.7 liter and a alpha 1 gen 2, year 2000 the other day. I was on the back side threading it and the neighbor was in the boat to help feed and direct. He said could not see it and I felt pressure as I pushed and pulled a little. Some how the cable fed into the flex plate/coupler. We worked on trying to extract it for a few hours unsuccessfully.

I can feel a housing with a small opening at 11:00 and 7:00 o'clock but cant get a light and mirror back there to see the initial feed point. I did cut off the remaining cable, then measured it. What is stuck still is about 2 inches past the flex plate (not sure of the exact term) . I am looking for advice to remove and/or distance from the flex plate to the ujoints/spline drive. I cut enough off that there is a 4 inch tail sticking out, wasn't sure if this was a dead area down to the drive shaft.

I have a feeling I am going to have to pull the motor to extract it. Any advice or recommendations that may save me from pulling the motor are appreciatted. I tried to search for a picture or specs of distance inside but did not see anything.

Still can't believe I could hit that one special point to feed it into that opening first time out and that this could happen. The space feels about a finger tip of an opening. It feels like there are only a few openings around the perimeter like a triangle flex plate.

Thanks for help.

badognobisc

Cadet
Re: shift cable mis-thread and stuck

bump

lots of looks but no answers

anyone have a diagram or photo of the backside for a motor that has been pulled? gm 5.0 or 5.7 2000 mercruiser ??

bucnon75

Seaman Apprentice

Can't picture the situation exactly, and sorry if this sounds stupid, but:

-how about applying some lubricant (WD40, etc) to the area and shooting some compressed air in there to dislodge it; or after the lube was applied, try jamming/poking some stiff wire in there (like a clothes hanger) to dislodge it.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

IMG_1765.jpg

cr2k

Captain

Probably the Ferrel on the end of the cable housing. Try twisting it? You may have to remove it from the outer bell housing to do so.

NHGuy

Captain

On my boat the cable feed is way down low inside the boat. It's an Alpha 1 Gen1, may be a little different. Is yours just to the starboard side of the drive bellows? If so, try climbing in the starboard side of the engine bay with a light and rooting around. I bet if you just get dirty and persistent you will find it. And while you are in there feed some kind of a fish tool through so you don't sacrifice your next new cable to the god of experience.
Lousy luck for you, good luck with fixing it, you can do it!

badognobisc

Cadet

The photo is a good example. Thank you. Gives me an idea of what I am looking at. Do you have one showing the rear of the engine directly?

I had my 5 year old nephew make a drawing of the situation...to help describe it.

ok, ok I drew it....

thx for the input everyone.

Attachments

• drawing.jpg
    drawing.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 2

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Assuming you cut your losses and are no longer trying to save the old/new cable but just get remnants out and starting over... I'll offer you 2 solutions, see which 1 you feel better about.

1. The drive is off, pull the plugs out and spin the motor backwards and see if it works out that way.
2. Just start the engine. Flywheels are fairly strong, and will shred even the ferrule end of the cable in short order. Just think of the teeth on the flywheel as a metal cutting blade going 2K rpms... it will cut right through anything.

badognobisc

Cadet

thx for advice I will try option 1. I guess I was feeling out the advice wheel to see if option 2 was a possibilty even if a tooth or 2 chunked out.

I wanted to learn what was behind the plate, if anyone has had it off to estimate the distance to the flywheel, and to find out if I had any clearance and to see if it would cut through the brass and the wire.

badognobisc

Cadet

quick note after looking at the picture a lil more:

if you follow on the rear of the motor a few inches above the coupling curve...you will see a crease on this motor casing. I have a curve area that curves out similiar to the coupling house curve. The curve /opening goes up higher almost to the top edge. Then it feels as if there is an opening at 11:00 and at 7:00 oclock as stated. I can get a finger tip (end of the finger) to feel the opening and it seems to be about 2 inches wide with the contour of the top curve.

I have tried the lube ation (graphite first then liquid) .

badognobisc

Cadet

great news!! turned the engine over and the4n removed the lower dust cover for the flywheel bell housing and the little brass part was looking at me down at the bottom. So I grabbed it out while a friend spun the motor and here it is safely extracted. The wire on the right side was cut by me not grinded up.

Thx for the input and ideas on the forum.

Attachments

• IMG00200-20100626-1920.jpg
    IMG00200-20100626-1920.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 1

full stringer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

what a horrible experience glad to see you overcame it with persistance and dedication thats what seperates us men from the weak take it to the shop boys!!! good job brother