Shift Cable for Volvo Penta DP-SM

quakana99

Cadet
Hi folks, I need a shift cable for a 2006 Four WInns Sundowner 255. It has a volvo penta DP-SM drive. I have read there are markings on the cable but not on mine. Any help would be great

Fun Times

Staff member
Is your cable red or grayish color?

There should be some numbers on it.

You may have to take the cable out first and measure it if you still can't locate the numbers.

Or you could try either calling or emailing F_W with your hull ID number and they ought to be able to tell you the length/part number they used in your boat.

quakana99

Cadet
It's black and I can't see any writing on the cable from where it comes into the bilge to where it disappears behind gunnel. I can try calling FW tomorrow. My mechanic told me I could find it by serial numbers of the engine and or drive but I can't seem to find anywhere to do that

Fun Times

Staff member
The serial numbers could get you close to finding a cable "list" of VP part numbers used, but you'd still have to know the length used in which is generally the last 2 numbers of the overall numbers found on the cable.

quakana99

Cadet
Thanks. I figured as much. You can put those motors and drives in bigger boats so it makes sense you need to know the length for sure