Shift bellows install question

Boater31

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I just finished my bellows job. I think all is well but seeing the length on the shift bellows is getting me. In sure I'm thinking to much but the book 14 says 2.5" from Bell housing. How does one measure that. Right now I have the end of the bellows about halfway up the cable between the gimble housing and bell housing. It doesn't look strained just stretched when full out and port but down and starboard it looks crunched, even at rest it's a little crunched. Normal or should the end be closer to bell housing

Thanks as always.

harringtondav

Commander
If you didn't over crimp the aft clamp, it will find it's own happy place. Properly crimped, the cable will slide in the bellows.

Boater31

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I figured it should come out a little bit. As far as over tightened, I don't know, I tried the special clamp and even made a the special pliers crimp to. Now I know why I see no one using it. So I currently have a zip tie double wrapped. So I'm guessing it's over tight.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Double wrapped cable tie is the way I go... Or a single wrapped 'fuel line' cable tie....

Chris.....

achris

More fish than mountain goat
"Double wrapped" - A single cable tie taken twice around, then 'zipped'.

Taking it around the second time stops the rubber being pinched up at the tie lock. Alternately, use a fuel line cable tie..

Chris...