shift at max.

tommy c

Cadet
Hi,just recentley had some work done on my outderive ( MERC "R" )Tech say's the shifting has been adjusted to maximum and may need some gear work in the future.Question-could this be a potentially a big and expensive job? also would i lose shiffting capabilities all of a sudden or is it gradual decrease in performance.<br /><br />Thanks Guy's

Bondo

Staff member
Re: shift at max.

I suggest you Find Another Mechanic.............<br /><br />If the Adjustment is Maxed Out, <br />My 1st Guess is that the Cables are Stretched out.......<br />The Lower Shift Cable is usually the first 1 to Go......<br />The upper remote cables will sometimes last the Life of the boat....... <br />Lowers only last 5 to 7 years, at Best, in My experince..........<br />
Question-could this be a potentially a big and expensive job?
Ayah......<br />And it'll get Bigger,+ More Expensive the Longer you let it Go..............<br /><br />Worn Gears have Nothing to do with the Shift Cable Adjustment........<br />But, <br />Bad Cables will Cause Broken Gears in a Hurry..................... ;)

tommy c

Cadet

Thanks Bondo,i did have the lower shift cable replaced and new shift bracket as part of my recent work.I'm going to see the tech this weekend and ask him to explain what he meant by "gear work".also i'v heard that re-shiming the gears back to specs may solve this?when the admiral heard this she talked me into a newer and slightly larger boat in the fall!!!!well must keep the crew happy right?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> I have never heard of reshimming the gears to solve a shift problem. I have seen the shift spools and cams wear out. there is really not much adjustments to make. did the tech convert your unit to the aft entry late model style cable?<br /> the late style cable is less sloppy and tends to hold an adjustment longer.<br /> are you having problems now? what problem did you have?<br /> good luck and keep posting

tommy c

Cadet

Hey rodbolt<br />The shifting was a bit stiff but now it's really nice,i'm not sure what style of cable was put on but i'll check with him.still would like to know if the shifting would give some graduall warning or let go and leave me stranded.This has me concerned it will always be on my mind now.<br />thanks

kcole683

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What year is your outdrive??<br />If it's a 1984-85-86 read the following link.<br /><br />It might have something to do with your problem. Castle Nut <br /><br />I have a 1985 Mercruiser and I forsee this repair in my future. I was able to adjust my shift cable this year to get good shifting.