Shift and Shift Interrupt Problem on Mercruiser 165

ihaveabrownboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Not sure if I have one problem or two but have two separate things going on. Advice from those familiar once again offered in terms that someone who isn't might understand is appreciated; please. Here's what's going on:

1980 Mercruiser 165. It shifts in to forward and reverse on muffs. When on muffs it also goes from gear to neutral to gear without dieing.

In the water it will go in forward gear but won't go in reverse. This is both whether going from neutral and never having been in forward or if you've been moving forward and are attempting to slow down. It will never go in to neutral when the boat is in the lake.

When in the lake the shift interrupt circuit also engages and kills the engine when coming out of gear. It's not dieing at idle. Can pull the lever back far enough to let the engine idle with the lever still just barely short of neutral and the engine idles fine. Pull the lever back that tiny bit more to find neutral and the engine is killed. Does not do this on muffs but does it everytime on the lake.

I'd asked about part of this before but hadn't asked about the two issues together. So before tearing in to things wanted to circle the wagons once more and make sure all of what's going on is considered. Is this likely one problem manifesting itself in two areas or are there two separate things going on?

Thanks.

13crazyhorse

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Shift and Shift Interrupt Problem on Mercruiser 165

Sounds like you need to adjust your cables. I didn't think you were supposed to shift your boat into gear when on the muffs? May be mistaken about that though.

ihaveabrownboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds like you need to adjust your cables. I didn't think you were supposed to shift your boat into gear when on the muffs? May be mistaken about that though.

Only did it twice. Just wanted to see if it actually would since it wasn't doing so in the lake.

ihaveabrownboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds like all one problem to me. Have a read of this post to understand how the interrupt system works. Once you understand it, it will help troubleshooting.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=1930449#post1930449

Thanks. That helps and confirms what I thought I was seeing. I still have to replace the cable that's in the boat though. During all the work that was the old boat's resurrection earlier in the summer it got a new lower shift cable. But I screwed up. Treated like I had any other cable in other applications and lubed the cable before it went in the housing the last time. Later found out that's a no-no and will actually lead to resistance that can cause the interrupt to... well... interrupt.

Hopefully the replacement cable's replacement cable and a more accurate cable adjustment will solve it all. If I've only got one re-do out of the complete re-hab the old boat received I'm not complaining.

nola mike

Vice Admiral

Before you replace the cable again, disconnect it and shift manually. It should be almost effortless. If it is, your problem is elsewhere...