shelf life for 2 stroke oil?

piers

Seaman
Does anyone know if there is a shelf life for penzoil 2 stroke synth. blend oil.I found a good price on it and after I got it home I noticed some advetising on the side of the container in regards to a contest back in 2002?I don't think there is a shelf life but just wanted to check with the guys in the know.<br /><br /> Thanks PT

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: shelf life for 2 stroke oil?

If its sealed, there is no reason for concern.

TheOilDoc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Most engine oils will have a shelf life of about 3-5 years. Oils with heavier additive packages, or insoluble additives, will have shorter shelf lifes. Ideally stored oil will be free from sunlight, moisture, extreme temperature changes, and will remain unopened.<br /><br />Signs of storage instability will include settling out of the additives, or a goo or gel at the bottom of the container, floc or haze, precipitates or solid material, color change or haziness, and a milky appearance as a result of moisture.<br /><br />There are two types of "shelf life". Type-1, or nonextendible and Type-2, or extendible. Most oils are extendible. That is, upon specified visual inspection or laboratory testing, the shelf life of the oil can be extended if it passes inspection. Nonextendible shelf-lifes will have an expiration date, and are not to be used past that date.<br /><br />Some oils/fluids are packaged with nitrogen in an attempt to rid the oil of oxidation and to extend shelf life. Most consumers use oil before shelf life becomes an issue, as oil specifications change rapidly and new, better oils are constantly being produced to meet the demands of new engines.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Nice reply LD, for you anyhows. ;)

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Shortest oil thread I have ever read...HA!

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by Chief 101:<br /> Nice reply LD, for you anyhows. ;)
:D :D Im a new creation! :D :D <br /><br /> :p With JBs help, Ive seen the light!<br /> :p

piers

Seaman

Thanks everyone for the informative replys.This site is such a great resource for info.I will be running the penz. synth. blend in a twin 1997 johnson 150 oceanrunner setup.I have read on a previous post that this is a good oil.Any comments,LD or Doc?

gss036

Commander

I made the mistake of buying a 55 gal drum of reg TCW back in 1990 and before I could get it used up it started jelling, so tossed about 7-8 gal in the burn pile. Back then I was running around 125-150 hrs annually, now lucky to do 50 hrs a year. I now buy by the gallon jug.