Sheet Music

Kiwi Phil

Commander
My 10 yr old has been learning the Trumpet for the last 2 years. He has quit because he has become bored with the part he plays in the band, (2nd trumpet)because he never plays a melody.<br />The obvious answer is, get him some Music. <br />So I ask his teacher, who dosn't do anything.<br />I went to buy sheet music and they offer either individual sheets of music, (around $5.95) or Books (around $40). The books the best buy, but they order them in and can't tell what the music is like till it is opened.<br />For those that know what I am talking about, I am looking for music ranging from around Bottom C to around Middle C, dosn't matter about Keys (b or #)with songs like "When the Saints come Marching In etc.<br />I have tried to find free Music on the Internet with no luck.<br />Can any one offer any help here?<br />It would be very much appreciated.<br />He can play Polly Wolly Doodle real well.<br />He can also play a good number of chords on his guitar too.<br /><br />I learnt the Euphoniam as a kid and there is a heap of those old Melody's out there which are excellant for valved instruments.<br /><br />If any one can help me here and save me a bundle, I would really appreciate it.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Sheet Music

Kiwi Phil,<br /><br />Just stop into a music store and browse through the music books they have there. Most have a good selection of different instrument books too. They have books of popular music transposed into trumpet, clarinet, trombone, etc...<br /><br />I am a trumpet player, trombone player, baritone, sax, clarinet, flute, guitar, bass, drums, etc...etc...etc... and have dozens of music books.<br /><br />I recently picked up a big music book of Chicago (the band from the 70's). I have a CD of greatest hits of theirs and cranked it up on the stereo, grabbed my trumpet and started playing along with "Saturday In The Park", following the sheet music right in tune with the band. What fun!<br /><br />Music books of "today's sound" are always a lot of fun to play music out of. Keep your son interested and he'll enjoy the trumpet for years to come. My trumpet is from 1967 and I still play it all these years later! :D <br /><br />Butch A.

ndemge

Commander

Email me with your address, I'll send you some sheet music. (Trumpet player myself)<br /><br />ndemge@primary.net<br /><br />There are a couple sites that have some free stuff too, If your playing by yourself, it dosn't matter if it's in Bb or not.<br /><br />Something you might like to get for him, Canadian Brass CD, Take him to see a brass band concert, that will get him back in the mood too.

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

Kiwi Phil,<br /><br />There used to be a series of music bookds called "Fake books". These were collections of popular music and such that were rewritten for the different keys of the insturment. This made it easier for folks to play. Of course all the music was solo compsition.<br /><br />I will see if I can find some on the net.<br /><br /> Found this on ebay<br /><br /> Powell's <br /> Sheet music

ndemge

Commander

I bought "The Real Book" years ago... You need to know your Music theory to use it..... I don't.<br /><br />I can read off the sheet fine, but it's a solo guide, Wish I could do that.

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Kiwi,<br />eBay is chocked full of music books for trumpets. Here's an example:<br /> Beginning Trumpet Sheet Music <br />Only $5.95 using "buy it now" and ships worldwide. There are a lot of others as well. <br /><br />I never liked the way they number playing positions in band/orchestra. The 2nd & 3rd seats are just as important as the 1st seat. Without them you have no harmony.

ndemge

Commander

Something I learned going from HS to College band<br /><br />In HS, I was first chair of 5, This didn't mean you played first on everything, but the majority of the time, I did.<br /><br />Then I go to Community band, ran through the college, playing with people that have been playing for 40 years, pro's that play for the fun of it at the college. <br /><br />Then I played mostly 2/3/4th pieces... it is HARDER than 1st, as you have counter mellody/harmony and counter beats sometimes, very hard to follow and read.<br /><br />I hope he can stick with it, it's a lot of fun, and you can meet a lot of people down the road

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by joew94th:<br />I never liked the way they number playing positions in band/orchestra. The 2nd & 3rd seats are just as important as the 1st seat. Without them you have no harmony.
Good God, isn't that the truth! I have been 3rd trombone, 1st baritone, 2nd trumpet, 2nd french horn, etc... in my high school days back in the 70's. It didn't bother me one bit.<br /><br />My twin girls are the same way... They too have sat darn near everywhere in the school band over the years and played whatever is put in front of them. They've made it to All County and All District band before and never once shown arrogance or showboating. They do all the woodwinds and can play my trumpet a little, but we all play music together (I get copies of the high school bands music from the director), and have a great time. My wife plugs her ears though! Ha ha ha :D <br /><br />Butch A.

ndemge

Commander

Remeber the iboats get together jam sesion thread...... <br /><br />Get in your boat now and start heading towards Tennesee now, you'll be there in time for sept.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

How many chairs are there? I've played everything from 5th to 1st chair. 1st and 2nd chair almost always played the same melody, with just a few differences. When the size of our band increased and we had 5 chairs, the first and second played the 1st trumpet melody, the third and fourth played the 2nd trumpet music, and the fifth chair played the 3rd trumpet.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Goodness guys, thanks for all the information. I will work through it all and get the little fellow moving again.<br />Me and my 3 brothers all played in the local Municipal Brass Band (3rd Grade) from the age of 8 (that's near 50 yrs ago now!!!). Mother had a belief. "Music is no different from spelling and times table. The more you practice the better you get." She was not wrong.<br />At my kids school, the music is tendered out to Music Companies. They teach the kids etc, but only give out the minimum amount of music, as it appears they make a lot of money from selling it to the parents. The charge me $420 per year for tuition too.<br />Thanks again. ndemge I am about to send you an e-mail.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip