shed antlers

Booner

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just wondering if any one else looks for sheds this time of the year. I have been hunting for sheds a few years and have two big boxes full of sheds.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander
Re: shed antlers

LOL @ Spinner ... ya pack rat :p ;) <br /><br />its been a few years since I've done it .. I could be wrong but, I'm thinking its a little too early up here.<br /><br />anyone know for sure?

Booner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ya what Barlow said SBN :) <br />Barlow the older deer will start droping antlers in January the younger deer will sometimes cary them into late Febuary. It has to do with the loss of testostron.<br />When the rut is over the older bucks seem to loose testostrone a lot faster than the yonger bucks. Will let you know I am going shed hunting today.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by Booner:<br />Will let you know I am going shed hunting today.
I heard the buildingsrus.com was having a big sale on them. :D :p

dsrchamp04

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ive always wanted too try that but around here the porcupines usually get em before ya can find them....besides it usually just small whitetails in our neck of the woods..still a blast though i bet!!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well considering where I hunt is under 2-3 feet of snow (and the road is closed for the winter) and how cold it has been.... I will just have to skip the shed hunting.<br /><br />Bob

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

My wife is wanting me to hunt a shed. She has more "stuff" than will comfortably fit in our house. I have a tool shed, but it's full.

Booner

Petty Officer 1st Class

You guys kill me! LOL :D :D :D <br />dsrchampo4 no quillpigs here but the pakrats and squirels chew on them prety fast. If you deer hunt its a great time to see where the deer spend a lot of their time in the winter.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Oh I can see deer anytime in the winter. They have areas that they migrate to yard up "winter areas"...on any given day at about 4:30 there are at least a dozen in the same spot.

KRS

Banned

If they aren't dropping yet, a bowsaw helps ;)

crab bait

Captain

you bet.. been for years.. it's an excuse to get out an hike.. <br /><br />delaware got deer.. <br /><br />if you got an acre patch of woods ,,you got 6 deer.. <br /><br />were i go,, it's commom to see 100/150 deer deer in one herd at a time..<br /><br />one thing ,, never go unless it's below 30 deg f..

Carphunter

Commander

Still noticed many of the bucks around here still have their antlers, even though some of them looked a little wobbly though. :D

gaugeguy

Captain

Here's an easy way to collect sheds. Fill a grain bucket with deer grain (they sell it at most feed stores). Then frame a 90* wall on either side of the grain bucket and enclose it in chicken wire. When the deer sticks his head in the grain bucket his antlers will catch in the chicken wire and fall off into the bucket. Put the contraption out mid-december to late february in a good deer "yard" and you are gonna have quite a few sheds in no time at all. I've collected 6 so far this year, only one matching set though.

Booner

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's a good idea GG. I just enjoy be in the woods looking for sheds becouse hunting season is over and it's still to early to fish. ( got my honey do's done )It's great exersise I will walk mabee 4 to 5 miles per outing looking for sheds. ;)

gaugeguy

Captain

I love being in the woods as well Booner. I take the sheds from my bucket and I put them in the woods behind my house and snowshoe around with my boys and let them "find" the sheds...one of my little tricks to get the younguns interested in the outdoors ;) <br /><br />You are in big buck territory Booner, I would be out as much as possible as well ;)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Not being a deer hunter, I have always pondered why they loose them and how often.<br />If they loose them, how does some of them get so big?