She was too busy fishing!

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I just have to brag a little .... :) <br /><br />My Fiancee and I went fishing today. She's a little new to it but really likes it when we go.<br /><br />So, there we were, standing at the shore line under a tree waiting for the big one to bite.<br /><br />She was so wrapped up in fishing, she didn't even notice the 3 foot Copperhead snake swim not even 5 feet infront of us. <br /><br />When I tried to point it out to her, she said "Hang on a minute ... I'm fishin!".<br /><br />Had she seen it, that would have been the end of my ugly stick, this fishing trip, and every other fishing trip ever again. :) <br /><br />That's my girl! :)

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: She was too busy fishing!

When I tried to point it out to her, she said "Hang on a minute ... I'm fishin!".
Goes to show ya, Ya cant tell em nothin. :D <br /><br />Its great she like to fish that much. ;)

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

The one thing I like a Rattlesnake over a Copperhead is that the rattle lets you know something nearby is not good. No warnings come from the copperhead.<br /><br />Don't know how true this is, but when I was young, my granddad told me that blacksnakes can kill copperheads. Has anyone else heard this?

bubbakat

Captain

Yes black snakes kill copper heads. <br />It ain't true about copperheads not giving you a warning. When upset to the point of bitting they will emit an oder that smell a lot like cucumbers.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

King snakes kill (and eat) other snakes, including copperheads and rattlers. Black snakes don't.<br /><br />Rattlesnakes may or may not rattle before defending themselves. If surprised at close range they will strike first. The secret is don't surprise them. :)

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

We don't have King snakes around here.. no rattlers either. <br /><br />I've never even seen a Copperhead in the wild before yesterday. It was close enough for me. It didn't bother me, I didn't bother it.<br /><br />I did look them up on the internet yesterday. One site said that they will shake their tail prior to a strike. They don't rattle, so it wouldn't do much good if you didn't see it though.<br /><br />Also, they are one of the least venomous snakes.

LadyFish

Admiral

During tropical storm Frances, our neighborhood was under 5' of water for several days. About day 3 we ran short on supplies so after the water subsided a bit we ventured out to the corner store about 3/4 miles away. We had to wade through waist deep water.<br /><br />There were floating fire ant hills, and everything else you could imagine. There was a man following us out and he yelled "STOP" don't take another step forward. There was a copperhead swimming no less than a foot in front of me. He told me, don't stir the water up, stand still and he will pass. Although their agressive, he said as long as I didn't brush up against him or move the water like I was coming at him, he would just swim on by. Thank God he did.<br /><br />He wasn't a very big snake and I had never seen one before, I really thought it was just a grass snake.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've heard that copperheads aren't aggressive (unless surprised or harrassed) and that although they're poisonous, it's rare that a copperhead bite would kill an adult (remember, a bee sting can kill someonoe who is allergic to it). I have heard of rare cases where people have lost a limb cause they didn't get medical attention for a copperhead bite till very late.<br /><br />Water moccasins on the other hand are supposed to be VERY aggressive and I believe their venom is more poisionous than a copperheads.<br /><br />Any reptile experts out there who can clarify?

Braxton

Chief Petty Officer

i say the only good snake is a dead snake, thats just me. they scare me silly.... :eek:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Please don't confuse common water snakes, which are harmless, with cottonmouth moccasins which are bad tempered vipers. If aggressive means they will go out of their way to attack, even cottonmouths are non-aggressive.<br /><br />No harmless snake suffers as much as common water snakes, too often called moccasins, from misidentification.<br /><br />Water snakes are slim and have round noses and pupils. Cottonmouths are stubby and have triangular heads and slit pupils.<br /><br />Snakes are essential to their environments for a balance of nature. Without them we would be overrun with rodents and other pests.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) i'm glad that the only critter that we have to deal with is the "Verocious Deer Tick"!!!! ;) :cool:

crab bait

Captain

AHHHHHH,, isn't that sweet..!! <br /><br />just like adam & eve an the garden-of-eden all over again..

robpoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There are a *lot* of gardener snakes in the area I live. You can find them if you leave a tarp under a camper shell for a while (not like 20 minutes a while, more like .. 3 months awhile). Then send your 10 y/o boy out to fold the tarp. Tee hee hee..<br /><br />There were only 7 of them under there.<br /><br />I did *not* kill them, btw. I *did* however round them up and put them out in the easment behind my house. <br /><br />I wish I had a camera. He was .. well .. pretty frightened .. and was dancing and screaming "SNAKE!!!! SNAKE!!!!"

Triton II

Commander

We live next to a national park and we frequently have visits from red-bellied and yellow-bellied black snakes. They are mildly poisonous but nothing like as dangerous as a Taipan or a Tiger snake. The most common snakes in our area are diamond pythons which are non-venomous but still scare the cr@p out of the neighbour's young kids. Here in Sydney we have a much more dangerous creature - the Sydney Funnel Web spider which is one of the most venomous spiders around ands the females are agressive and can jump about 2 ft. Fortunately they are not that common on the south side where I live, but they're really common in the sandstone areas of the north side.

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

Well now, I can beat ALL of you on this.<br />We DO NOT have any snakes in New Zealand at all.<br />Zip, Zero nothing.<br />Yeehah.<br />But I sure am wary when I go to Australia and am working around parks or bush areas.<br />Dont want to get up close and personal with any of those critters.

saxis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My mom is out-of-her-mind afraid of snakes. So crazy that when she even see's a little garter snake she will go get the garden hoe and chop it up into little bits... sure is funny to watch!