Shark Bait

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade
First of all, I know little about sharks, except they scare the bejeebers out of me. Here in Ohio, there is no habitat that would support them... or so I think. Although I have been to the Ocean out of Florida (Atlantic and Gulf) too many times to count, I have never seen one in person(I never go in deeper than my knees).<br /><br />I was watching the Discovery Channel last night as they were talking about the sharks that inhabit the panhandle. Although I was aware the bullshark will swim into fresh water to bare their young, I had no idea they have been found in the Mississippi as far North as Illinois. If this is the case, maybe they are closer to me than I think. A bit scary to be swimming in a freshwater lake while thinking you may not be at the top of the food chain.<br /><br />Happy swimming,<br /><br />John

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Shark Bait

Stepdad caught a 6' black tip shark in knee deep water off the beach in sarasota......So just cause your knee deep doesnt mean squat....<br />Ive been told if you could take a helicopter ride along the coastline, you would never set foot in there again.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by yingling-j:<br />I have never seen one in person(I never go in deeper than my knees).
That doesnt mean they didnt see/smell you.<br /> :eek: :eek:

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree that it does not keep a person entirely safe, but it does give them a better chance. I can't imagine swimming out into 12 foot of water several hundred yards from shore. It is unbelievable that people swim out there with no fear at all. <br /><br />Do you think it is that "it will not happen to me" type of attitude, or is it just plain old fashion being unaware?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Been a SCUBA diver for 23 years, and I've seen about half a dozen sharks, some quite big. The only one that bit me was one I didn't see! Despite having been bitten, I still love my ocean. SCUBA dive every chance I get!<br /><br />And why do shark attacks get so much press? Because they happen so rarely.<br />Still worried about sharks? Check out Shark attacks.<br /><br />Chris...............

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Think about it. That show said 83 poeple were killed last year by lightining, while only 18 people were killed by a shark attack. That make the odds greatly if you favor. There are times and places I will not swim, feeding times and feeding places. <br /><br />I swim offshore frequently, in open water without any thought of sharks (man I love Blue Water). But will never swim around structures or inlets were bait is abundant, or at dusk to dawn.<br /><br />I dont think its a "wont happen to me attitude", but more likely, its not an obvious/visual threat. Kinda like, outa sight, outa mind.<br /><br />I think its kinda like what they say about house fires, when theres been one in your family, or close relation, odds say your generation will likely never have to endure a fire threat again.<br /><br /> LETS GO SWIMMIN/MARINADING :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don't worry about the sharks, John. There are MUSKYS in Ohio fresh water.<br /><br />Statistically, Musky attacks in Ohio outnumber shark attacks by thousands to one.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Achris what kind of shark bit you...........how hurt did you get.......I tell you what!!!!! that would be the last time i was in the water....might even have a problem taking a bath :D

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

From JBs description, they must be kinda like a Shark on steroids. :confused: <br /><br />Now Im scared to say , Great Lakes, much less get in one ofem.<br /><br /> :eek: :eek:

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by achris:<br /> What's a MUSKY?
An ugly SOB that invokes strange rituals for those who hunt it.<br /><br />Esox Masquinongy - AKA - Musky. It looks like the results of mating between a pike and a alligator.<br /><br />I think that's one in JBs' avatar.<br /><br />Aldo

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Ive been told if you could take a helicopter ride along the coastline, you would never set foot in there again.<br />
Yep... Seen photos.. Certain times of the year, sharks are thick along the coast...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Originally posted by mikeandronda:<br /> Achris what kind of shark bit you...........how hurt did you get.......I tell you what!!!!! that would be the last time i was in the water....might even have a problem taking a bath :D
I was bitten on the right knee, by a 7ft wobbegong. Little bugger was hiding in the weed, and NO, I didn't provoke it. They are actually known on this coast to be very aggressive. The teeth penetrated the wetsuit and gave me a couple of bloody wounds, but nothing too serious. Scared me more than hurt me. It let go after getting a taste of wetsuit. :D :D <br /><br /> Pictures and article about Wobbegongs <br /><br />Chris...............

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have never heard of musky attacks JB, but they have some nasty teeth, I did not know their disposition was also nasty. My cousin was floating down a local river on an innertube when a gar jumped from the water into his lap and he ended up getting bit on the arm. I tend to think it happened entirely by accident though.<br /><br />John

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

I watched the movie "Open Water" about the divers who get left behind in the ocean. <br /><br />We went snorkling at Panama City, Florida the next day. Not that it would have helped, but I kept my eyes out. We did have a "school" of juvenile manta rays enter the jetties where we were snorkling (in about 6 feet of water). Had one of them circle my daughter and I for 5 minutes (no joke) about 3 feet away. It was checking us out and we were doing the same to it. Awesome experience.<br /><br />I've caught numerous sharks while trout fishing in the gulf of Mexico. The largest I ever caught was about 3 feet. We also snorkle in that water for scallops; so it is kind of spooky.

aspeck

Staff member

Originally posted by Reel Poor:<br /> Think about it. That show said 83 poeple were killed last year by lightining, while only 18 people were killed by a shark attack. That make the odds greatly if you favor.
But then there is a whole lot more land mass that people inhabit than there is coastal water that people swim in ... so what does that statistic mean?<br /><br />And Yingling, as for JB's post -- Don't worry about the sharks, John. There are MUSKYS in Ohio fresh water.<br /><br />Statistically, Musky attacks in Ohio outnumber shark attacks by thousands to one. <br /><br />Key word is IN OHIO. How many shark attacks have there been in OHIO? What is 1000 x 0?