Shark Attack in Local Waters

SoulWinner

Commander
Shark Attack <br /><br />Dang it. This is sad. I think every shark attack we have ever had around here was done by a bull shark. We have att kinds of sharks here, black tips, sand sharks, hammerheads; but it's the bulls that bite people.

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Shark Attack in Local Waters

Man that is scary!<br /><br />I'm planning on taking my wife and 3 kids scalloping in July of this year.<br /><br />We'll be somewhere in the Gulf of Mexico, probably near St. Marks lighthouse. I doubt my wife will get in. She'll be on shark watch duty.

Sea Six

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Beaches Reopen After Fatal Shark Attack<br />June 26, 2005 7:44 PM EDT<br />TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Beaches reopened Sunday with extra lifeguards along a stretch of the Florida Panhandle coast where a shark killed a 14-year-old girl, as coastal residents reported seeing at least one shark hunting fish close to shore.<br /><br />Jamie Marie Daigle of Gonzales, La., was swimming on a boogie board with a friend at least 100 yards from shore when she was attacked Saturday in the Gulf of Mexico, said Walton County sheriff's Capt. Danny Glidewell. Jamie was vacationing with friends while the rest of her family was home.<br /><br />Daigle was in an area not protected by sandbars or lifeguards when she was bitten, said the surfer who hauled her onto his board and headed for shore with the shark trailing them.<br /><br />"The beach is the beach. Once you get past that second sandbar, you're in the gulf," said Tim Dicus, who pulled the unconscious girl onto his surfboard. "And when you're in the gulf, that's where big fish are. You go way down on the food chain."<br /><br />An autopsy was planned for Monday, and a shark expert was invited to attend to help determine the type and size of the shark involved, Glidewell said Sunday.<br /><br />After the attack Saturday, a 20-mile stretch of shore was closed to swimmers, with twin red flags warning people to stay out of the water, but beaches reopened Sunday with a double staff of sheriff's beach patrol officers, Glidewell said.<br /><br />Residents of a condominium complex next to the beach where the girl was attacked said they spotted a shark that looked about 6 feet long Sunday morning.<br /><br />"It was just right at the shoreline," said Jason Miller, who lives in a 10th-floor condo. He took pictures of the shark chasing fish while people stood in the white surf.<br /><br />Although Jamie and her friend were farther from shore than recommended, it is common for boogie-boarders, surfers and people on personal watercraft to go beyond the two sandbars that separate the shallow beach area from the open gulf, Glidewell said.<br /><br />"Our pilots who fly our helicopters have always reported to us that if you look offshore, there's always a large number of sharks - always has been because that's their natural habitat," Glidewell said.<br /><br />Dicus, 54, said he heard a scream and saw Jamie's friend swimming for shore as fast as she could. Jamie was face down in a bloody circle of water, and the flesh had been torn on one leg from her hip to her knee. The shark, which was right next to her, appeared to be a bull shark about 8 feet long, Dicus said.<br /><br />"He just followed us right to the beach," he said.<br /><br />Two other swimmers came with a raft and used it to help carry Jamie to shore. The surfer said he punched the shark on the nose when it tried to attack him.<br /><br />Paramedics were unable to revive the girl.<br /><br />Florida averaged more than 30 shark attacks a year from 2000 to 2003, but there were only 12 attacks off the state's coast last year, according to statistics compiled by the American Elasmobranch Society and the Florida Museum of Natural History.<br /><br />George Burgess, curator of the International Shark Attack File at University of Florida, said Sunday that bull sharks are common in the area, are aggressive and can be found in shallow water. He said that of 500 documented attacks in Florida, the fatality rate was 2.4 percent.<br /><br />"Sharks are one of many hazards that one may encounter when entering the sea," he said. "There is no reason to think that this is the beginning of a trend."

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Anyone know what time of the day this happened?

SoulWinner

Commander

I think was about mid-day. One note, ALL of the sharks I have caught (they are black tips and taste great) I caught in less than 3' of water. The largest was 4-5' and was in about 1' of water. He was hugging the bottom and although we saw some disturbance in the water before we hooked him, we never knew there was a shark in the water, and the water crystal clear. Black tips really blend in with the sandy bottom. If condo residents saw a shark, it was a bull shark.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Dang. Haven't been to the beach in a while, and I know conciously that the probablility of an attack is very low once you take into account the number of people at our beachs.<br /><br />Still, gotta admit that given the press each attack is given, my comfort level as far as swimming in the ocean is starting to degrade. (southern NC beaches).<br /><br />This feeling has been somewhat mitigated by the fact that most of the attacks seem to come early in the morning (& I avoid early morning for anything except sleep if at all possible, lol) and in the evening hours. Was hoping this attack had occured early or late in order to enforce my conception about lessening risk.<br /><br />I'm sure I'll still go into the water next time I'm at the beach, but my comfort level will probably drop a bit each time I hear a new report about an attack.<br /><br />And yes, I know this fear is mostly irrational since the relative risk is VERY small. I know that nore people are killed by both lightning and by cows (trampled, not from eating too much McDonalds, lol) than shark attacks. Still, gotta admit shark attacks touch that primal spot in my brain where reason doesn't reside....<br /><br />I admire people like the guy on the surfboard who brought the girl in to shore; also the guys on the NC beach a couple of years ago who pulled an 8' bull shark onto shore after it attacked a boy (girl?) in 2 or 3 feet of water, killed it, and actually removed the hand it had bitten off to give to hospital personnel (I don't think it could be reattached, too torn up instead of a clean cut).

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, SoulWinner, black-tipped sharks are great to eat. I normally catch them when using live pin-fish trying to catch large spotted sea trout. I have been scalloping and found some very large "pilot" fish that you see attached to the under-sides of very large sharks. I've caught a few as well. Kind of scary to remove when they suck onto your hand.

ehenry

Commander

We have att kinds of sharks here, black tips, sand sharks, hammerheads; but it's the bulls that bite people. <br />
SW, What "att kinds of sharks."?

D

DJ

You play with nature, you might get bit.<br /><br />I prefer the safety of a boat. I NEVER go in the surf, over my waist.

ChaosDad

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Soulwinner, just read on Drudge report that another attack today off Cape San Blas, <br />have you heard anything else. <br />..D..

SoulWinner

Commander

E.F., I ment to type "all kinds of sharks"<br /><br />Chaos, I heard that this time it was male teenager who survived the attack. He was with a buddy who actually punched the shark. Don't know about the extent of injuries yet.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

He was attacked off Cape San Blas, a popular vacation destination about 80 miles southeast of the Destin area where 14-year-old Jamie Marie Daigle of Gonzales, La., was killed by a shark on Saturday.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Second shark attact today...<br /><br />Shark Attacks 2nd Teen Off Gulf coats today..<br />AP - 6/27/05<br />PENSACOLA, Fla. (AP) - A teenage boy was bitten and critically injured Monday in the second shark attack in three days along the Florida Panhandle.<br /><br />The boy, whose age and name were not released, was taken to Bay Medical Center in Panama City. The nature of his injuries was not immediately released, but he underwent surgery and his condition stabilized, hospital spokeswoman Christa Hild said.<br /><br />"That means he's going to be OK," she said.<br /><br />The boy was attacked off Cape San Blas, a popular vacation destination about 80 miles southeast of the Destin area, where 14-year-old Jamie Marie Daigle of Gonzales, La., was killed by a shark on Saturday.<br /><br />Daigle had been swimming on a boogie board with a friend about 100 yards from shore when a shark tore away the flesh on one leg from her hip to her knee.<br /><br />Erich Ritter of the Shark Attack Institute said the girl was probably attacked by a 6-foot bull shark, based on measurements of the bite wound. He said it was unlikely the same shark was responsible for Monday's attack.<br /><br />After Saturday's attack, a 20-mile stretch of shore was closed to swimmers, but beaches reopened Sunday with a double staff of sheriff's beach patrol officers. On Monday, off-duty deputies were called in to beef up beach patrols and watch for sharks from the air and the water.<br /><br />Florida averaged more than 30 shark attacks a year from 2000 to 2003, but there were only 12 attacks off the state's coast last year, according to figures compiled by the American Elasmobranch Society and the Florida Museum of Natural History.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Goliath Grouper are getting in on the act too.. <br /><br />Big grouper grabs diver on Keys reef<br /><br />ISLAMORADA - No doubt, sharks are the most notorious for latching onto underwater divers. On occasions, barracudas have been known to do the same.<br /><br />But this fish-bites-man story centers around one of the more docile creatures of the deep -- the slow-moving and inquisitive Goliath grouper, for years known as the jewfish or giant grouper.<br /><br />Bob Charles, a Florida Keys diver from Cudjoe Key, claims to have the bruises and four stitches in a lip following an "attack" by an estimated 100-pound Goliath grouper.<br /><br />"It was just so fast," Charles told the Keynoter, a Florida Keys newspaper. "I didn't realize my head was in his mouth until I was on the way to the hospital, and I saw the blood on the top of my head."<br /><br />Charles said he was diving with a friend and they were spearfishing for snapper in about 30 feet of water. The grouper continued to follow him, sometimes only a few feet away.<br /><br />"He was making this thudding noise they do, then all of a sudden he turned and hit me," Charles was quoted as saying.<br /><br />The force ripped away some of Charles' dive gear, but he managed to surface and swim to his boat.<br /><br />Many of the popular Florida Keys dive sites, where divers use legal means for spearing snapper, grouper, hogfish and other species, are home to at least one resident Goliath grouper.<br /><br />Some of the big grouper relate the divers to potential handouts, and on more than one occasion a grouper has tried to grab a speared fish from the grasp of a diver. If an injured fish manages to get away, it often becomes easy pickings for the resident grouper.<br /><br />Goliath grouper grow to 400 and 500 pounds. Because of their enormous strength and size, they have been known to pose a threat to divers.

Realgun

Commander

Don't feel to safe in fresh water either bull sharks can and do swim into fresh water rivers and lakes! Read about the 1916 attacks (5) in NJ I believe 16 miles from the ocean in a freshwater creek. They believe it was a bull shark.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

They had to take the boys leg off after the most of it was ripped off by the shark.