Shark attack Downunder

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Shark attack Downunder

That area is home to some big great whites, and the've known that for years - why do they persist on surfing there? I can only imagine that its an adrenline rush. :( <br /><br />Aldo

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Man that is horrible. I hope they find the shark.<br /><br />Ken

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Horrible incident. I can only begin to imagine the affect this would have on his friends who saw it happen :(

orca

Chief Petty Officer

Dunarunna, This was not a surfing beach, this was a metro swimming beach, the guys were just playing around with a kneeboard behind their runabout.<br />I have just found out that the kid involved was a local, lived about 40Km from my town. he was due home for christmas this weekend.

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

What a horrible thing to watch. Plus, feeling so helpless not being able to save your friend.

Whaler Proud

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This article claims that the Great White is a protected specie down there.<br /><br />I may just be a dumb country boy, but I need to ask "WHY?" :confused: <br /><br /> Shark Attack

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by Whaler Proud:<br /> This article claims that the Great White is a protected specie down there.<br /><br />I may just be a dumb country boy, but I need to ask "WHY?" :confused: <br />[/URL]
Yep, protected. Same thing with crocs but when something like this happens the shark(s) will be hunted down and killed.<br /><br />Aldo

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Tragic... :( <br /><br />on a side note.. <br />Not that I'm against killing a shark, or anything like that, but with all the "fish in the sea", I wonder how it is determined which shark is the offending shark or sharks as the case may be? :confused:

tcliffe

Recruit

Apparently this particular shark has been seen a lot in the last few weeks, a couple of guys fishing in a 5m boat were stalked by it for about 20 mins. And they don't particularly like human flesh, not enough fat content like in their natural prey the seal, so they genarally don't come back for more!

Dunaruna

Admiral

Snapper, as aussietc said, its been seen and photographed a few times. The South Australia coast is teaming with commercial fishermen and they often report these big sharks and give detailed descriptions (damaged fins, chunk out of the tail, that sort of stuff). A few months ago a amateur video was doing the rounds of the current affair shows - the shark was attacking the prop of a 5 metre boat, it was bigger than the boat. It was from the area of this incident.<br /><br />Aldo