shaft problem

rosgood14

Seaman
i have a 1973 johnson 115 hp. i was recently taking off the old water pump and during the process of prying and beating it off something either broke or came loose of something. my vertical shift is somehow not connected to my horizontal shaft. they both spin with no problem but they are not spinning with each other like they should be. i have tried taking the vertical shaft off to see what is going on but i cannot seem to get the shaft off. it is stuck. it will move up and down about a 1/4 inch, but thats it. i do not hear anything rattling around inside so i am not sure that anything broke just maybe something came loose. my main question is how do i get the shaft off. thankyou for your time.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: shaft problem

First question I just gotta ask is did you have it in gear when the drive shaft wouldn't turn the prop shaft? Needless to say it wouldn't turn it if it were in neutral.

There is a nut on the bottom end of the drive shaft. Complete disassembly is necessary if you plan to go that far. May I suggest you reconsider what you are trying to do?

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

pull the shift shaft up,always turn the driveshaft clockwise when impeller is installed,doing so should give you forward,push down hard ,reverse,middle neutral,likely you just shifted into neu,would take alot to do something down below,you would likely break something in the pump housing or perhaps the bering housing first

rosgood14

Seaman

the motor was not in gear i had it already taken apart because i was in the proccess of replacing the water pump. i am not sure what the problem is but i am pretty sure i have to disassemble the entire thing to fix whatever it is considering i cannot even see what it is.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Something isn't making sense here. By "vertical shaft" you mean the drive shaft, right?

If it is NOT in gear, turning the drive shaft should NOT turn the propeller shaft.

If it IS in gear, turning the drive shaft SHOULD turn the propeller shaft either forward or backward, depending on which gear you have it in.

It is very hard to believe you messed up anything in the gearcase just by changing the water pump.

If you insist on taking the gearcase apart, you better get yourself a manual. Special tools are required.