Shaft Lengths

CaptainPuget

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After talking to my local Merc dealer and looking at the iboats motors for sale I'm really confused on shaft lengths. My dealer tells me that motors come in 3 sizes - short shaft i.e. 15" - long shaft 20" and extra long shaft 25". All measured from the underside of the mounting bracket (where it contacts the top of the transom) to the top of the cavitation plate. The iboats motors are also listed at these dimensions.<br /><br />Well I own 4 outboards so I measure them and I get these results:<br /><br />1985 - Merc 115ph - 20" - long shaft no problem<br />1990 - Mariner 8hp - 22" - ???? <br />1993 - Merc 8hp - 17 1/2" - ????<br />1991 - Susuki DT-2 - 17" - ???<br /><br />My questions:<br />Is the 22" a long shaft (20") or extra long shaft (25")? Is the 17 ½" a short shaft or long shaft? Most importantly if I order a 20" (long shaft) outboard what will this measurement be when it arrives?

Tracy Coleman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Shaft Lengths

The 22" is a long shaft (20-+)-the fact it will hang a little deeper like a kicker engine is a benefit. The 17.5" is for a short shaft (15"-+) for the same reason. Jon boat or small fishing or kicker application a little long is no problem.<br />When you order a long shaft (20"-+)you will get whatever the manufacturer calls a "long shaft". Best bet is to measure a couple of boats from that builder to see what the finished product measures. Generally 19"-21" for a long.<br />Backfire