Shackles hitting frame on tandem axle boat

Burns363R

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just bought a 1995 Celebrity with trailer that came with it. The rear shackle is hitting the frame. the tree is tilted towards the back. It looks like to much weight on the rear of the boat, but the boat appears to be sitting on the trailer correctly. Currently the rear shakle is hitting the frame at the equalizer T. The trailer looks to be in good shape, not any rust and the suspension all looks to be in good shape as well. I suppose maybe the springs are worn? This is on a 22' Celebrity boat.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Assuming you don't have mismatched tires or damaged springs you have your hitch too high... Get a drop hitch and level the trailer.

Burns363R

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is the best i can do right now. The tires are the same size. I believe i have a 3" drop hitch now. Truck does have a 1" lift int he rear, and I went from 32" to 34" rear tires, so technically the truck is 2" higher than stock.

I havent had the boat off the trailer yet, i bought it this way a couple weeks ago, i have to get some other things fixed before putting it in the water. I am putting new tires on it. But because it only has 14" rims, i could only get C load tires for it. I had the front tires at 40 psi and rear tires at 45 psi coming home with it, and the rears looked squatty still. Maybe a drop hitch would help.

11694032_10102702207152170_9109294600616112369_n_zpshgikkscp.jpg

11541915_10102702003694900_8034961537773168743_n_zpssronlma2.jpg

oldjeep

Admiral
Couple things
1) Your hitch does look a little high using the second picture
2) Inflate those tires to 50psi before you destroy them, you only get full load at full psi
3) You can get D rated 14" tires http://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Wh...a/AM10235.html
4) get a picture of the shackles and equalizer on both sides
5) Those tires look awful close to the fenders, might have some worn out or broken springs

Last edited:

Burns363R

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Theses tires are junk already. I bought new ones. I will run them at 50 psi. C load tires are good for 1850 per tire witch is 7500lbs, the boat/trailer dont weight that much.

Yes the tires do look close

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
The height/ lift stock or not of the truck is irrelevant. Measure the trailer frame height in back and get it to the same height in front.... Then use however much drop you need to get the truck to carry the trailer at that height.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
To understand, with the trailer not hooked to the truck crank the jack to let the tongue way down and you will see your shackles stop misbehaving n get to where they belong.

Burns363R

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well i tried to flip the shackles, but they wouldnt stay once i set the trailer down, one would always pop back up. So is suppose they need to be where they are at.

Here are some pictures. I lowered the trailer till the shackles where close to even. I would need a 8" drop hitch on my truck to make it look this way. It would really need to go farther.

20150721_180308_zpszqglzr9e.jpg

20150721_180316_zpsonhvrakl.jpg

20150721_180319_zpshgjssrob.jpg

bwkre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Being new to you, first check & see if all the spring sets are the same. Each set should have the same number of leafs. Do the rear sets look older than the front sets? If the front are newer they won't flex as much under load. If the number of leafs are different front to back the again they will flex differently. Lastly check down the centre of the leaf pack looking closely for a broken leaf. If any are broken it will be dead center in the pack & easy to see. A broken leaf will also cause different flexing of the pack as a whole.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Yes the shackles are correct in the picture.

If the trailer frame is level on flat pavement the shackles should be even.

You are getting closer.... Take a tape measure to the front and back of the trailer on flat ground.

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class
IMO, those tires are way too close to the fenders.

Assume factory configuration, its appears the leaf spring packs have lost some of their "load support" ability (due to their older age). Suggestion: Replace all 4 x leaf spring packs. If desired, go "next size up". Replace shackles and Yoke (since their bolt holes are probably over from wear) and re-assemble with new plastic bushings / lots of grease. If the tires still look too close to the fenders (when trailer frame is level to ground), then simply re-configure using leaf spring packs "over" the axle. Thus, creating a 3.5" frame lift (and creating more air gap within the tire wheel wells). After this is done, connect to your Tow Vehicle using Properly sized draw bar. Always get trailer suspension in perfect order - before sizing to its connected Tow Vehicle.

While replacing leaf spring packs (if they are older than 15 years), do detail inspect its braking system as well. If needed, replace older age parts in this area as well. For example, install new / thick 10 gauge wiring on full electric brakes, ensure all connections are sealed, etc. etc.

If wondering, I did a leaf spring "over" axle conversion on my boat trailer and love it. One of the best upgrades I've done to it.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Forget the pictures just grab ur tape measure.... Level trailer relative to ground.... Verify equalizers level or very close to level..... Verify no broken springs and ride height acceptable IE tires won't hit fenders....
If all checks out move on to the next issue.