SF Bay boating

Rickfifty

Seaman
Looking for some info/advice on boating in the bay. I've been an inland lake boater for 20 years with a jet boat mostly. Just picked up an 18' open bow Seaswirl and was thinking about taking it on the bay for some sightseeing. Is this boat capable? I know the afternoon winds & chop can get brutal. Where do I get weather(wind) reports, etc? I'm in Fremont and would like to get to the SF area, McCovey Cove etc.Where would be a good place to launch? I've got plenty more questions but I don't want to make this too long. Thanks for any advice you can give.

davidedgar

Cadet
Re: SF Bay boating

I kept my boat in "Coyote Point Marina" when I lived in the bay area. There is a shortage (or was then) of available moorings. If you plan to spend most of your cruzin' time near the city (you mentioned McCovey cove), you are better off closer to the city.<br /><br />You are right about the winds. "Brutal" is a good word. My boat is 33' and most afternoons were "wet & wild". Besides being windy, it is also cold.<br /><br />As for Wx reports, use the WX1 & WX2 on your VHF.<br /><br />I now live in Central America (Belize) where weather is not a problem. [/LIST]

Namtack1

Recruit

Originally posted by Rickfifty:<br />Looking for some info/advice on boating in the bay. I've been an inland lake boater for 20 years with a jet boat mostly. Just picked up an 18' open bow Seaswirl and was thinking about taking it on the bay for some sightseeing. Is this boat capable? I know the afternoon winds & chop can get brutal. Where do I get weather(wind) reports, etc? I'm in Fremont and would like to get to the SF area, McCovey Cove etc.Where would be a good place to launch? I've got plenty more questions but I don't want to make this too long. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Namtack1

Recruit

SF boating is very fun if you go to the right places at the right time./For instance,Starting in April,I stock the bay with Salmon smolts. This is about a 6 week run.If you launch at Brinkmans/public ramp in Vallejo,you just pilot over to the south side of the carquinez straight ( 1/2 mi )and you will see all of the other small boats .The Striped Bass are thick as fleas trying to get my smolts. Pure catching. No weekends. Normal hours are 10 to 3.Most people come about 8 am and stay until 4:30 or so.Charter boats go there as well.

18rabbit

Captain

*** CAUTION: A RABBIT RAMBLE FOLLLOWS ***<br /><br />Rickfifty – if you are in Fremont you are really close to a free/public launch in Alameda. Take Hwy 880 north, exit 23rd Ave in Oakland. Cross back over the overpass and continue straight, over the 23rd Ave/Park St Bridge (it’s the green one). Down two lights and make a right at Clement Street. At the end of Clement, turn right…stop before you run into San Francisco Bay. :) Free parking…when the lot is full, you can park along the street…but it’s rare. Grand Marina is across the street from the launch.<br /><br />From this point you will be launching into the Oakland/Alameda estuary. It is usually really calm. Once launcehed, DO NOT go south past the High St Bridge (it’s the small silver one just past the ugly brown one) unless you are familiar with the top secret channel around the southern Alameda point. Lots of boats get stuck in the mud there…I did once…<br /><br />Head north through the estuary, watch for 8-ft sailboats in the regatta that seems to always be happening in there. You can view than as either navigational irritants or moving targets…either way, note the large white ships with a diagonal orange strip across the estuary from you…those would be the US Coast Guard cutters…also note the large guns and missile launchers on the deck. Probably better not to view the little blow-boats as targets.<br /><br />You have about 4 miles thru the estuary before you dump into SF Bay. Enjoy it. It’s a nice cruise past Jack London Square, etc. As you get closer to the bay, you will notice the chop increasing in the estuary. When you get close to the Oakland piers, you will have a pretty good idea of what the bay is going to be like. Treasure Island and the Bay Bridge (it’s the really big silver one) will be immediate at your bow about 1-1/2 miles out at a north-westerly heading. Turn left (west) and tool on over to “the cove”… as if you had a Portuguese Water Dog and the Giants were playing. :) <br /><br />Two ways to get to Angel Island…go north (to your left) or go west (to your right) around T.I. The northerly route (toward Berkeley and Scott Peterson’s old fishing/wife dumping grounds) is usually calmer and a shorter route to Ayala Cove on the north side of Angel Island, across from the Tiburon Peninsula. Angel Is. is a great place to picnic and the cheapest parking lot in all the Bay Area…$2/day for a slip, $5/day for a mooring ball. The westerly route will take you past Alcatraz and around Pt. Knox and Pt. Stuart, thru Raccoon Strait to Angel Is.<br /><br />Oh, about Alcatraz…it is a park, no one owns it, although there are a bunch of Native Americans that will disagree with this, nonetheless, the pier on Alcatraz is a public pier. Any vessel can dock there to load and unload persons and supplies only. The Red & White ferries would like you to believe they own it, but the don’t, the gov’t does. You can drop and/or pick up friends and family at the pier but you must immediate depart…but to where? There are no anchorages nearby.<br /><br />We usually go from Alameda to Angel Is. via the westerly route in the morning and returning by continuing to circumnavigate the island, returning from the north, after the chop has come up in the afternoon. If you decide to go this route, in the morning you will pass by the single largest piece of concrete in the world (literally, it is!), it’s known as Mile Island, the place where the two suspension spans of the Bay Bridge join. Try not to smack into it, but notice there is one of those green Potra-Pottas on it…why?<br /><br />Later, as you gain experience in the bay you will want to head north and into San Pablo Straits and on into the delta…to get lost and become a statistic or on the news or something…people go in the delta and never come out…<br /><br />Speaking of danger…it comes in two flavors in the S.F. Bay…Blue & Gold, and Red & White…the ferries. They are of the opinion the navigation rules were written for everyone except them. Stay clear of the ferries!!!<br /><br />Suggestion:<br /><br /> - 1) start in the Oakland/Alameda estuary…it’s close to you, it’s free, it’s easy, and it’s calm water. You can tool around and choose if you are comfortable with whatever conditions are going on in the bay.<br /><br /> - 2) Get yourself a copy of NOAA chart #18649…that would be the southern S.F. Bay (chart #18654 is the northern bay). You can see the sounding for all these places I mentioned…and see why I cautioned you to stay away from southern Alameda…depth=1ft or less. Hint: buying NOAA charts directly from NOAA (phone order or online) is often cheaper than local marinas, there is no shipping, no tax, all charts are sent rolled in a tube, priority mail, and just show up on your porch in a couple of days.<br /><br /> - 3) Give serious consideration to taking a boating class. They are from free to really cheap. They will cover the laws and rules of navigation…the stuff that didn’t matter in the lake…it does in the bay!

Cliffman

Seaman Apprentice

I live in Hollister Ca. Close to Santa Cruz. I was thinking of taking a trip from Santa Cruz to the Golden Gate and Back. I'm new to boating and have never been boating in the ocean. I have a Glastron GS245. She's a 25' cabin Cruiser. I understand the ocean can get pretty choppy. How do I determine if my boat can handle the ocean? Do I need to check weather reports and if so where and what do I look for.

jyasaki

Cadet

Originally posted by Rickfifty:<br />Where do I get weather(wind) reports, etc?
More for Monterey diving, but should be OK for the SF Bay as well, especially the general weather forecasts:<br /> wamglance <br /><br />jky

Cliffman

Seaman Apprentice

So what’s the deal with ocean boating? What are the "do's and don’ts"? Are there certain rules I should know that are different from lake/delta boating? I have good common since but should I take a Coastguard course anyway.