Severely smoky 1995 150 oil-injected 2.0 merc...

Salmonator

Cadet
At least now I think it only does it after being stored tilted. When I moored it for three days up in Astoria, It started relatively smoke-free each morning. Just today after being stored for three weeks tilted, it smoked like a steam train and was rather embarassing. The smoke clears after several minutes of running. Other than that the thing runs out like a champ and only has 150hrs on it. I'm guessing excess oil is getting in there when tilted but have no idea why. Thanks in advance... Joe

Robalo

Cadet
Re: Severely smoky 1995 150 oil-injected 2.0 merc...

I have a 1993 Merc 150 Black Max it smokes like a freight train when started, it as well is oil injected. The thing runs great and uses alot of oil and gas but a 2 stroke will do this

Robalo

Cadet

I have a 1993 Merc 150 Black Max it smokes like a freight train when started, it as well is oil injected. The thing runs great and uses alot of oil and gas but a 2 stroke will do this

Salmonator

Cadet

Thanks for the reply, but this can't be normal. Anyone within 100 ft of this thing will get sick while it's warming up. It's also relatively easy on gas/oil.

robalofish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 1994 200hp when it starts, as you say you want to go hide until the smoke clears. I have noticed that when the engine has be tilted up for storage/trailering that there is a lot of oil that appears to be put into the fuel line (leaking through from the pump maybe). I have tried changing the check valve for the oil etc. I also am just wondering if anyone has found the answer to this one.<br /><br />RFish<br /> :p

clanton

Rear Admiral

Check the check valves in the oil line that taps into the main fuel line, 2lb check valve, if defective will allow oil to seep into fuel line, when engine is setting. system has about 3 of these valves in the fuel/oil system.If you have a Merc manual, it will show location of valve.

Salmonator

Cadet

Clanton, thank you VERY much for the lead. I will follow up on it this week... Joe

robalofish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

UPDATE ** UPDATE I found what the problem was on my rig now you can check yours<br /><br />The reserve tank has been holding pressure for weeks at a time. I didn’t think anything of this as it has done this sense I have had the boat. I found that this is NOT normal. The valve that comes from the engine and supplies the pressure to the remote tank is supposed to bleed off the pressure after 5-10 min. When I checked the valve there was no bleed off occurring. Purchased a new valve and it bleed off as described. So after changing the pressure check valve I have cured the problem. <br /><br />Check Valve number 21-878105 1 <br /><br />Just a note letting you know the outcome.<br /><br />Thanks

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> what robalo says. if I change the check valves I always change the pressure tap. if it sticks and does not allow a pressure bleed off it will fill the carbs and fuel lines with oil.

robalofish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I found this just the other day when my engine had set for about 3 weeks. It was very hard to start and I pulled the hose that goes from the top carb to the enrichment valve and it was almost pure oil. I had already changed the check valve that goes to the fuel line. Did a little more research and found that the tank wasn’t supposed to hold this pressure for ever . If you are having the same problem. Check the remote tank after the engine has been off for 15-20 min see if you still have pressure in the tank, then I would check the pressure valve. It costs about $10.00 takes 5 min to change it may solve your problem. <br /><br /><br />RFISH >>>>>>

eekman

Cadet

RFISH, Where exactly is the pressure valve? I know where the check aalve is. My 2001 V6 has the same symptons.<br /><br /> John

eekman

Cadet

OOPS! check valve<br /><br /> john

robalofish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First check to see if you have pressure in the remote tank 1 - 2 hrs later.<br /><br />If it is holding pressure or if you just want to see where the valve is follow the lines back from the oil tank into the engine. One of them will run up to the oil tank inside the engine. The other will run in almost straight and turn 90 degrees to a fitting on the block down low right beside the wiring harness connector can't miss it.<br /><br />Part# 21-878105 1 about 10.00US<br /><br />Good luck and post your results.