Severe jolt to my new engine

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Earlier this spring I bought and installed a brand new Mercury 115 HP, 4-cycle engine on my old pontoon boat. It's worked flawlessly so far and I love the performance. ... Monday I was towing some teens on a tube at about 20 MPH, 5000 RPM. I felt a strong thump and immediately the engine RPM peaked as if it were badly cavitating. I pulled the throttle back to idle as quickly as I could and shut down the engine. An inspection revealed a 30" long 2"x6" board from a failed dock had hit the front of the engine and wedged itself into the front of the engine and the nearby toon just below the water line. There was no apparent damage to the propeller. It seems the propeller had cavitated when the board blocked the flow of water to it. Fortunately this engine is equipped with a rev limiter that kept it within the manufacturers limit.

With the board removed (and onboard for proper disposal), and the toons inspected for damage, I gently tested the engine through the normal RPM range. Everything looked, felt and sounded normal so we continued our boating. ... So here is my question. Is there anything else I should do to check for hidden damage?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You should be good to go.... Happy Boating

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
thats one of those things that happen, on my little lake i have that happens mmm at least 8 times so far this year, but i am on a 10 hp lake so its not neer and heart rendering :cool: with a new expensive motor

The Rooster

Ensign
Sounds like you're ok Tommy. I'd just keep an eye out for any small lower unit oil leak if it's on a trailer.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Just to be over cautious, Check the mounting points for loose bolts, or tweaked mounts on the toon itself. You should be fine though.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Excellent points all. The first thing I did after checking the prop was look over the engine pod welds and connections.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I think you got lucky Tommy, enjoy and count your lucky stars. That would have put my heart in my throat hearing that with a new 150, ewww. Sometimes I think for every laugh and scream the folks enjoying my rig I get an extra grey hair stressing over every little thing from their safety,#1, to something happening to the boat. I'm told I worry too much, I say I've seen it all and don't want to see it again.

Last edited: