Setting up a new(used trailer)

debo1683

Cadet
This fall I bought a used trailer from a boat dealer that had never been sold to a customer. Best I can tell its a mid 90's made to hold a sea ray boat(it's an eagle trailer), and it is in really great shape. I knew the bunks would not fit my boat(1991 stingray 536zp), so I cut off the uprights and planned to weld new ones on.

Ideally I would like to have bolt on brackets to make the trailer customizable (if we ever buy a different boat). The trailer is 2x4 boxed steel ... I can't seem to find bolt on bolsters that are raw steel(only galvanized),and I would like to paint the whole trailer.

What are your thoughts? Should I go ahead with galvanized bolt on and not paint? Or weld on? The welding is no big deal, my neighbor is a really good welder and has a 220v setup. My biggest fear with welding is that, no matter how many measurements I take, something will not line up correctly.

Am I over thinking this? I just want my trailer to be uniform in color... and be safe down the road.

Thanks!

limitout

Banned
Re: Setting up a new(used trailer)

chances are the reason no one ever bought that trailer was because it was all welded and couldn't easily be adjusted to another boat

IMO the worst thing you can ever do to a trailer is weld the brackets on so you cant readjust it.

if you don't go near salt water then painting it is fine because galvanize is used mainly for trailers near salt water that need extra rust protection

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

WAY overthinking... paint the whole trailer after cleaning up the old brackets and then put the galvanized brackets and bunks on.... Don't waste your time painting the brackets n hardware as that paint will get screwed up if you ever need to adjust bunks anyhow and NOBODY is ever gonna notice or care that your brackets are galvanized instead of painted just like EVERY other adjustable trailer at the ramp.... In fact painting the clamp on brackets, IMHO, would look pretty redneck.

alldodge

Staff member

This fall I bought a used trailer from a boat dealer that had never been sold to a customer. Best I can tell its a mid 90's made to hold a sea ray boat(it's an eagle trailer), and it is in really great shape. I knew the bunks would not fit my boat(1991 stingray 536zp), so I cut off the uprights and planned to weld new ones on.

Ideally I would like to have bolt on brackets to make the trailer customizable (if we ever buy a different boat). The trailer is 2x4 boxed steel ... I can't seem to find bolt on bolsters that are raw steel(only galvanized),and I would like to paint the whole trailer.

What are your thoughts? Should I go ahead with galvanized bolt on and not paint? Or weld on? The welding is no big deal, my neighbor is a really good welder and has a 220v setup. My biggest fear with welding is that, no matter how many measurements I take, something will not line up correctly.

Am I over thinking this? I just want my trailer to be uniform in color... and be safe down the road.

Thanks!

My opinion, weld the brackets, clean prime and paint. If you sell the boat and don't sell the trailer with it, only then do you need to readjust

debo1683

Cadet

Cool thanks for the help. I am going to think about it for a little bit and make a cardboard template of the hull of the boat. I think that will help me to visualize it more than anything.

I am no where near saltwater, nor do I plan on going there, so I don't have to worry about it being galvanized or not.

Maybe I will sweep the floor and clean off the lawn mower deck while I am staring at it ... :)