Setting the rollers on trailer???

Howard Allen

Seaman Apprentice
I am a first time ever boat owner so have the dumb question to ask. I bought a trailer for my boat seperately and now have to adjust it for the boat. My trailer has rollers only down the center with carpet covered "carriers" on each side. How should they should be set, to carry all the weight or share it with the carriers? I have been told the "carriers" just balance the boat with the full load on the rollers. Thanks for any advice!!!!!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Setting the rollers on trailer???

Hi, Howard. Welcome to the board. It is probably best for the health of your hull to have the weight as equally distributed as possible. Those carpeted boards are called "bunks". The "put the load on the rollers and let the bunks provide balance" school of thought results in an easier to launch and load package but risks putting a "set" in your hull from uneven weight distribution. I guess what is best depends on the boat and the number of rollers.<br /><br />I favor even weight distribution.<br /><br />Red sky at night.<br />JB
smile.gif

Howard Allen

Seaman Apprentice

Hi JB,<br />Thank-you for the advice on how to set the bunks. I have seen fiberglass boats with the damage you speak of, those that have been through winters with a heavy snowfall even have cracked from all the stress. My boat is aluminum, but it seems like it would be easier on the boat to have as much weight distributed as you say. I would like to replace the bunks with rollers some time in the future, but I don't use the trailer except twice a season as the boat is at my camp all summer. Thanks and *** bless!

bbc0

Cadet

Folks I have a similar question to the above, mine is how far on should the boat ride. When I back up down the ramp I have to go so far into the water that my exhaust is submerged. The boat sits quite far forward near the hitch. I am wondering how far rearward I can move it on the trailer to make unloading and loading easier? It's an EZ loader trailer and the parts can be loosened and repositioned on the frame. Any help is appreciated