Setting the points

goconnor

Cadet
Just to double check. I am setting the points on my 62 wards motor made by gale. it is a 15hp. I need to set the points to .020.
The process as I know it.
Put the motor in gear
Wide open throttle
turn motor until at the top of the stroke of the cam.
check gap and adjust as needed.
repear for second points.
looks like there is a hole in the flywheel so I do not have to pull the flyweel.

Please let me know if I am doing something wrong or missing something.

I have had this engine running now after doing several other repairs. The problem I have is that the engine runs well at high idle but spits and sputters at low rpm. I have new plug, wires, coils and fuel mixed at 50to1.

Thank You for any help.
Greg

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Setting the points

I don't think it is necessary to put the engine in gear or to open the throttle, Greg. Neither has any effect on the points except maybe putting it in gear makes it easier to hold it at the correct point to set the point gap.

I have never done either. I have removed the spark plugs so that I didn't have to overcome compression to get the correct position of the flywheel/cam.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Don't need to put it in gear or go to WOT, unless you just want to. Everything else is correct. Use the basic carb settings, 1 and 1/2 half turns out (counterclockwise) for the slow-speed needle and 3/8 to 3/4 turns out from lightly seated (clockwise) for the high-speed needle. Look into the carb throat with a flashlight and make sure the rear butterfly is just starting to open at START and that it opens all the way and freely as you move the throttle to FAST. Start it up, run the throttle up and adjust the high-speed needle a little at a time (usually clockwise) until it runs best. Back the throttle down to SLOW/IDLE and adjust the slow-speed needle the same way. You'll have to tweak these a little on the water, but not much. Run some Seafoam in the tank too.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You do know that the mix is supposed to be 24:1 don't you? Just mentioning it before somebody yells at you. It probably will survive on 50:1 though, if that's what you choose to do.

Lower crankshaft seals gave a LOT of trouble on those motors.

Capt Ron

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"spits and sputters at low rpm"

This indicates a lean mixture, check the carburetor nuts along with the other suggestions above.

CaptRon