Setting max advance

Eddie1920

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all and hope your day is well, I have set the max advance on my 85 150 and I'm woundering if there is any issues with how I did it? Due to not being at wot rpm, I set the advance with boat in the water under way however, I advance the throttle until it touch the max advance stop, check and then adjusted and repeated, I did not feel comfortable trying it at max rpm as this is bass boat and I cant bring my self to stand over the engine with the light well doing 50+ mph.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Does Yam recommends adjusting the timing advance doing it that way ? That I know carb/ timing advance synch must be done at terra firme with motor Off...

Happy Boating

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Hello all and hope your day is well, I have set the max advance on my 85 150 and I'm woundering if there is any issues with how I did it? Due to not being at wot rpm, I set the advance with boat in the water under way however, I advance the throttle until it touch the max advance stop, check and then adjusted and repeated, I did not feel comfortable trying it at max rpm as this is bass boat and I cant bring my self to stand over the engine with the light well doing 50+ mph.
I have checked my C40 like that , and while running WOT
I think you will be just fine

Eddie1920

Seaman Apprentice
I have checked my C40 like that , and while running WOT
I think you will be just fine
Was the max adv number any different between the 2? I've never see anyone reccomend doing it this however I feel like its should work and be much safer

Eddie1920

Seaman Apprentice
Also i should mention i did the initial timing with a dial indicator in the number one cylinder and then lined up the marks as described in the manual

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Also i should mention i did the initial timing with a dial indicator in the number one cylinder and then lined up the marks as described in the manual
that is mainly to make sure TDC mark/ pointer is correct