Setting gear lash/engagement 2000 johnson 2 str 40hp 2 cyl

ONERCBOATER!

Seaman
Seemed like this would be best in New thread... mods if you disagree feel free to let me know or just plant it in my 1st thread. Thank you.

well folks I'm gonna need both some wise words and some information.

Seems the replacement lower unit I got from the east coast decided to chew up its drain magnet via gears and such. Honestly the bearings look pretty sharp but I can't in good conscience not replace them after contamination like that... likely same Fer gears... I should have spent the extra $700 and just bought one refurbished and warranties instead of what I did.

So question 1: I understand that there is a specific tool for setting the gear lash and shims are used to get it right once measured.

Question 2: What is the part # for the tool that will do this job...and where to get it.

Question 3: how is that tool used... yeah I'll start digging into my not very specific too many models manual while I wait for my used FSM to get here.

Question 4: can I instead use a Dial Indicator or is there some other method that will get me to a reliable appropriate lash. I have done many differentials and such so I get the idea just wanna make sure I do it right this time, this application...as I rapidly running out of my dear wife's patience.

Thank you all for your kindness, patience, and guidance ahead of time.... I'm positive at least one person besides me will be learning from this thread.

And please if you see me not asking a question I should be asking let me know.

Sean

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Agreed----Tool kit is expensive.---I have that kit.-----Consult your local friendly shop to help you.----And did I say that these gearcases are not robust.

ONERCBOATER!

Seaman
I get your take on the take it to the shop.

Would still like to know how and what tool if possible, strange thing locally here the "shops" are both "$hops" and not really trustworthy.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
No.... that video will cause someone to crap some gears. OMC housings are precision machined so the only setting you can adjust is pinion height. There is no shimming of forward and reverse gears so any backlash adjust is thru pinion height. Also there is no backlash spec as referred to in video. Pinion height must be set with tool to measurement spec or gears will be short lived. Tool number 5005925

ONERCBOATER!

Seaman
Faztbullet...
That makes sense to me.
Thank you very very much.

I may end up at the shop eventually but if I can possibly avoid it I will.

Sean

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Some will argue.-----Put pinion on the driveshaft.-----Take driveshaft and thrust bearing bits to shop.----Takes just minutes to determine correct shimming.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I get your take on the take it to the shop.

Would still like to know how and what tool if possible, strange thing locally here the "shops" are both "$hops" and not really trustworthy.
That tool is around $300 if you can find it. Buy a factory manual and all the info you need will be in there

ONERCBOATER!

Seaman
I believe these are what's needed correct?
Part# 393185 omc shimming tool
Part# 339184 omc shimming collar
Part# 339185 omc shimming bar.

I put pictures of them up just in case...not to scale
But I believe tools correct...

Please let me know if I have it right.

Thank you all again.

Sean

Edited for clarity
2nd picture is of universal kit that was recommended by initial Part number.

I can put together the 3 tools for the 40-50hp gearcase for about $140 by themselves.

Wishing I knew as much about this stuff as some of you folks do.

Attachments

• Photo_1668963133670.jpg
    Photo_1668963133670.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20221120-095937_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20221120-095937_Firefox.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 3

ONERCBOATER!

Seaman
Yes sir!!

... I ordered actual FSM, it is 1 week out and I will retire the not so great multi-year make and model johnson manual I been using.

In the meantime are
"RED RHINO" bearings ok to use for lower unit? I can get every single lower unit bearing for about $130 shipped. Or is this another "don't be an idiot" moment of mine?

Respectfully Sean