Servicing Alpha 1 outdrive (What grease?) should I use!!

Is there only one type of grease required for the proper maintenence of the Mercruiser Alpha 1 outdrives? I would have to get the grease gun or guns
ready for pre-season lube duties! Any thought's? Special adapters , etc.

Thanks in advance

Gods Favor VIP 1800 :):):D

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Servicing Alpha 1 outdrive (What grease?) should I use!!

VIP, Outdrive gear oil is commonly called "Grease". If that is what you are referring to, use a marine gear oil in the gearcase.

Use marine tube grease in a grease gun to lubricate the zerk-type grease fittings found on the outdrive. There are grease fittings on the top and bittom for the steering pivots, on each side for the tilt mechanism and one on the starboard side to lubricate the gymbal bearing. On the Alpha 1 Gen one, there are two grease fittings on the u-joints on the drive shaft. You need to pull the outdrive to grease them (recommended 1/year).

Thanks for your input! Yea, I was referring to the grease nipples! So, just regular old marine grade grease for these huh ....
As far as the out drive lube I knew it was gear oil ... I just did not know if more than one kind was required for all the fittings . Since I'll probably need to grease
some other things on the boat and trailer I'll get 2 and mark one for the outdrive only! So "No" mix up's happen. arg!!

Thanks Chief !

Gods Favor VIP 1800:):):rolleyes:

tommays

Admiral

there are 3 kinds of grease :D

Spline grease for the coupling real THICK

U-JOINT and Gimble bearing grease

2-4-C for the pivots on the bell housing

Tommays

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

VIP, I use "Boat Trailer wheel Bearing Grease" for all my greasing needs. It is salt water resistant and has plenty of lubrication for pivots, and any other part of an outboard or outdrive. I also can pump int into the trailer wheelbearings.

I do not think you need the three kinds mentioned by a previous poster. if regular wheel bearing grease is inadequate for your splines, you have other problems.

There is one other grease worth mentioning. It is Merc's Special Lube 101. It is a superior lube for steering rods on boats used in saltwater. If you keep the steering rod greased, you probably will never need the extra protection of the special stuff. if you don't grease it for a couple of years, you should try it.

Bondo

Staff member

Need I say more,..??..??..??..;).........:D
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V