Service Manuals

terry2626

Seaman
I was wondering do they made a service manual to a specific year model? I have seen many different ones, but they cover many different years. The one i got is o.k. but it only shows how to do things once you get to a certain point in the project. I was wondering if there is one that shows you from start to finish how to do things? I have a 1963 johnson super sea horse 40 hp electricmatic <br /> thanks

jfm1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Service Manuals

Hi terry2626 try kencook.com.<br /><br />No links please Jim. Just referals.

terry2626

Seaman

Thanks for you help. I went to that site, but i must be missing something. Where on there do you have to go to find out about service mannuals for a certain year outboard?

Paul Moir

Admiral

You have to go into "Portfolio". Never would have guessed, huh?<br />That, the original factory manual, is by far the best manual. Unfortunately, up until '64 they stuck all the outboards in one big manual, which makes it expensive. I suggest you purchase the Evinrude one for '63 since they switched to individual manuals in '61, so it's a lot less expensive. The only difference between the Johnson and Evinrude outboards at that time was paint and trim.<br /><br />Or you could get the manual on CD from acmeoutboards.com.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the CD's are nice as you can print just what you need at the time, and don't have grease all over it. now the keyboard may be another thing.

terry2626

Seaman

Thanks Paul, after i wrote about how to find it i went back to the site and triped over it. Of course my lucky i would have a 63, and they started individual manuals in 64. but thanks for the info on the Evinrude I did not know that they were the same. Also would you know what would be the Evinrude model that matches a 63 Johnson RK-25D? Once again thanks.

Pony

Rear Admiral

If you haven't already bought the manual, I would suggest just browsing ebay for it. I was able to find my service manual on there for about $13. Took a few days, but eventualy the factory manual showed up. It was a used original, so it has the notes the omc mechanic who had it originally made in it.

Paul Moir

Admiral

RK-25D is an electric shift, electric start, generator equipped, short shaft outboard right? That would be equivalent to an Evinrude model 40372.<br /><br />On ebay right now I only see a parts manual (cheap!) but Pony's right - they crop up. <br /><br />My '64 Evinrude manual also covers '63 models where different, but I'm not sure if Johnson manuals were doing that too. Perhaps someone here with a '64 Johnson manual could comment.

terry2626

Seaman

Yes the RK-25D is all electric. That is what makes it all the more fun to work on. (yea right) Not only do I have to worry about the normal stuff. I have to worry about pulling the electric shift cables out when I take the lower unit off, and all the other goddies that go with it being electric. But hey can not complain to much it was free. Once again guys thanks for all your help.

mstone1968

Seaman

Hey Pony, AWESOME RESTORATION JOB on the Evinrude Fisherman!! Looks like a factory paint job.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Thanks mstone1968, I apreciate it. It turned out better than I planned. Some credit has to go to Paul, he gave me a few great tips.