Serial Number - Mercury 175

jkering66

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,

I need to order a part for my 175 Mercury, but looking at the listing of parts to serial number, I cannot locate mine in the ranges.

The SN on my engine is a bit faded, is it possible to look up a SN to see if it is valid, I may be reading it incorrectly.

My SN: OB931933

Thanks

CraigC

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Serial Number - Mercury 175

That number is valid, and if I'm reading this correctly it's a serial number from an 87 (or possibly 88) V-175.
(FWIW my serial number is 0A957848, so yours is 1 model year newer.)
I don't know where you're shopping to find parts, but I've seen places using slightly different ranges before...you should be able to find that number though. It's possible you may see the range listed as 5190663 thru 0C100860 (or something similar).

If you let me know what parts you need I can give you the correct part numbers though.

jkering66

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, looking for a Stator.

My local dealer said it could be 3 different types, not 3 different vendors, he indicated 3 types from 1 vendor. He said I need to bring in the old one to match it up correcty, depending on flywheel, etc.

Thanks

CraigC

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, it could be either a 9 amp, 16 amp, or 40 amp, and you need to know which one you have, so you can order the correct one. I believe in that year range it's most likely a 16, but you do need to find out for sure before buying a replacement. There is an easy way to tell by looking at the flywheel I believe, and I'm sure if you start another post on here specifically about stators someone can tell you exactly how to tell, or just have your local shop look at it and they can tell you, up to you.

A fews words of advice on buying a stator, well, electical parts in general, and I think most people would agree with me here...go with CDI brand, not Mercury/Quicksilver!! They're better quality and cost less $. I replaced switch boxes a while ago and was told by a lot of people to go with the CDI brand, and since then I've heard all of their products highly recommended, A LOT.

CraigC

Seaman Apprentice

Your welcome. Hope it helped you.