Sensor Alarms?

McKenzie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was looking over my Clymers manual. apparently there are audible warning switches for water temp and oil pressure on my boat. wouldnt i hear these warning sounds when i turned the igntion to "on"? does omc supply the alarm, or should four winns? whats the deal with these things, are they actually there and working? ....or another clymers mistake? thanks

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Sensor Alarms?

The switches or sensors are probably there (on the engine) but not necessarily connected to anything. On my 89 OMC's both engines had a water temp switch and oil pressure switch. The water temp one is up near the thermostat housing and the oil one was tee'd off from the oil pressure sending unit. These are just switches not sending units, the water temp is set for around 200 deg and the oil pressure is below 5-6 lbs I believe. Anyway all they do is ground out so you will see a single wire coming off, easy to trace and probably don't go anywhere. OMC used to offer an alarm kit but you can make one yourself pretty easily and cheap with a 12v buzszer from Radio Shack.

Doug Durako

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Sensor Alarms?

My rig emits a loud squeeeeeeel every time you turn on the key until it starts and gets oil pressure. I was about to unhook this obnoxious warning system when it actually saved me some major headaches.<br /><br />My son started to take the boat out with his buddys and the alarm went off and would not shut down. Come to find out, the shift-shaft seal in the lower unit was leaking and we were low on drive lube.<br /><br />After reading the manual, it says the system monitors oil pressure, water temp. and drive lube level.<br /><br />Needless to say, I am leaving the alarm just as it is!