Sending unit in portable tank ???

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a tempo Ultra PWB tank and was trying to add a fuel guage and sending unit. can it be done and anybody know what sending unit i would need..<br /><br /> :rolleyes:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sending unit in portable tank ???

.Fan, Years ago a friend had electric guages on three 6 gal portable tanks. He had a combo fuel/electric four-way valve. When he changed the vlave to the next tank, the electric guage sender changed to match.<br /><br />Anyway, back to your question, Tempo makes them for their Ultra series above-deck plastic tanks. See Boaters World Item 105090 $34.99.

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll go check this out , funny as i called tempo and they told me they didn't have a product that would apply to any above deck tanks... :) it's nice when you don't know your products.....

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

can't find this item number on boaters world site ????

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay found that part number on west marine but ordered it from boaters world...cheaper for same part...anyway also ordered a teleflex fuel gauge and can't find wiring for this....is it just straight forward to wire ..haven't got the guage yet or seen the instructions but when purchasing it there was a disclaimer about the wiring not included..like it was a big deal...anyway just thought i would ask...guess i could wait fot it to arrive too......

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

DEIFan, It should be standard wiring. The gauge gets +12V(usually ignition accessary), ground and a wire from the sender. The sender mounted on the tank gets ground.

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Called tempo back and they assure me this won't work with above-deck plastic tank....but i've already ordered all needed items so i guess well see...

Lowranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's "FLS-U 54MM<br />Stainless Steel SAE - 5 Hole Underring<br />for a 2-1/8" bolt circle" at the bottom of the page.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

It's probably too late to suggest this, but consider a fuel flow meter. I have a (relatively) inexpensive unit made by Standard Horizon, but it is the same (in features and operation - I think it's the same unit) as this Navman sold here at Iboats<br /><br /> fuel flow meter <br /><br />In addition to monitoring gal/hour (or liters), you can set it to look at total flow for trip as well as total overall. For example, with this unit, you could monitor fuel used for each tank as you switch it, as well as total for that day. You can also set it for the number of gallons (or liters) in the tank and it will go to zero as the tank empties. Mine was within 5% out of the box and you can re-calibrate for mroe accuracy.<br /><br />I've never been happy with electric fuel senders/gauges in any boat I've ever had. This unit is definitely better for my use anyway.

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So ...If i'm correct i will need to cut a hole in my tank to add this.....it has a mechanical in tack fuel guage...i was thinking it would go in there but after looking closer at the screw hole i don't think so....but if i'm getting this i will have to cut a hole in my tank to accomadate this addition...

Lowranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi DEIFan, It requires a 1 1/2" hole http://www.wemausa.com/specifications/specBHPAT.htm . I agree with D. above, a fuel flow gauge will eliminate these problems and provide more data and better accuracy. However, it CAN be done. If you want a more accurate sender consider an electronic unit such as centroid.

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well i've already bought a tempo sending unit and teleflex guage...I'm not looking for exact fuel flow just idea of how much is in it at a glance...i guess i'm just too lazy to keep checking under hatch... while i'm on a long run it would just give me better idea how i'm doing...not to mention at 1/3 the price..

lfreng

Seaman

Well i've already bought a tempo sending unit and teleflex guage...I'm not looking for exact fuel flow just idea of how much is in it at a glance...i guess i'm just too lazy to keep checking under hatch... while i'm on a long run it would just give me better idea how i'm doing...not to mention at 1/3 the price..

Update us on how this turned out. I am thinking of doing the same thing...