Sen. Robert Byrd

D

DJ

What an embarassment.<br /><br />Listerning to him today, on Sirius, he's nuts.<br /><br />He's prattling on about turnip trucks.<br /><br />Sorry, Sen. Byrd, it's HIGH TIME to retire. Save your dignity.

rogerwa

Commander
Re: Sen. Robert Byrd

Ever notice how he sounds just like the fruitcake lady they have on Leno?? They could one in the same..

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can someone please explain to me how the people of West Virginia elected this ancient, hypocritical, member of the KKK, into office?!?!? :mad: <br /><br />Butch A.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by ButchA:<br /> Can someone please explain to me how the people of West Virginia elected this ancient, hypocritical, member of the KKK, into office?!?!? :mad: <br /><br />Butch A.
Easy Butch! Same reason they keep re-electing the Swimmer. Powerful Democrats proven to be able to bring home da Pork. Character doesn't matter with the Democrats. You just have to have tolerance for personal choices. Bill Clinton proved that. Besides who's to say what is good or bad in a secular society that the Democrats have spawned.

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class

good comment Boom. I was a thinking like Butch and you nailed it. I guess the same thing applies in Mass. Mark.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Another good reason for term limits, IMO.<br />4 or 8 years and you on your own once again.<br /><br />RCB is older than congress. :rolleyes:

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by ButchA:<br /> Can someone please explain to me how the people of West Virginia elected this ancient, hypocritical, member of the KKK, into office?!?!? :mad: <br /><br />Butch A.
Simple Butch... it's a West Virginia thang... you wouldn't understand.<br /> :eek:

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Please, you Dems, keep him around, the entertainment is fab.<br /><br />... and the hits just keep coming

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A few years ago, when Robert Byrd was the Senate Finance Chairman, 40% of the Senate Highway appropriations went to his home state of West Virginia.<br /><br />That's why they keep him around. He was the master of pork.<br /><br />Jinx

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Boom, given today's cave-in on the part of the Republicans to the democrats, I have to say I can no longer support the republican party. I don't capitalize it anymore, either. Truth is, the vast majority of politicians are just playing games and they're doing it with my livelihood and my fate. They're mostly lawyers, and if you've ever heard lawyers talk outside the courtroom, you know they don't really have any convictions about the cases they are trying. It's all a scharade, whether in the courtroom or in the halls of Congress.<br /><br />I am pissed and I want my country back.<br /><br /><br />-dd-

Tyme2fish

Commander

If 40% if the Federal Highway funds go to West Virginia then why do I still have to pay a stupid toll on Interstate-64 to travel thru that stupid State? Ticks me off everytime I have to pay a toll on a Federal Interstate.

D

DJ

why do I still have to pay a stupid toll on Interstate-64 to travel thru that stupid State?
It's called "double dipping".<br /><br />Nobody complains so nothing gets done.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by Tyme2fish:<br /> If 40% if the Federal Highway funds go to West Virginia then why do I still have to pay a stupid toll on Interstate-64 to travel thru that stupid State? Ticks me off everytime I have to pay a toll on a Federal Interstate.
Because the WV Turnpike pays it's own way. It don't get any of that 40%. The tolls pays for the upkeep. I think the road was paid for sometime in the 1980's, now the toll is just for the maintenance and payroll on it. :rolleyes:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by dogsdad:<br /> Boom, given today's cave-in on the part of the Republicans to the democrats, I have to say I can no longer support the republican party. I don't capitalize it anymore, either. Truth is, the vast majority of politicians are just playing games and they're doing it with my livelihood and my fate. They're mostly lawyers, and if you've ever heard lawyers talk outside the courtroom, you know they don't really have any convictions about the cases they are trying. It's all a scharade, whether in the courtroom or in the halls of Congress.<br /><br />I am pissed and I want my country back.<br /><br /><br />-dd-
Unfortunately dogsdad, I mostly agree with you but I will continue to support the party that comes the closest to my ideal. It's better to have a little bit then nothing at all. That is to say I am not going to bite off my nose to spite my face by letting the birds, kennedys, clintons, daschles, et al, take over completely.

TilliamWe

Banned

Robert Byrd has gotten so many things done for the State of West Virginia, that the residents feel like they owe him to keep him office.<br />He's a no good crazy drunk, but as long as WV gets more than their fair share, they'll keep him in office.<br />Tyme, you have obviously never been to the northern part of your state?! There Interstate 80, a "federal highway" is also a toll road, that your state collects the toll on. Hence the reason that when I go to the Akron, OH area, I do it via Indy & Columbus.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Yea, they ain't by themselves, you have the Ohio and Pa pike also that are Federal highways.

Twidget

Commander

You had better avoid the entire state of Oklahoma. They are the turnpikeinest people I know of.

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

At least your toll roads get some $$. The one in my county is a privately owned, for profit road. A joint venture between the Toll Road Corp. of Virginia and Autostrada Spa. of Italy. <br /><br />I believe it is the only one of its kind in the country.<br /><br />Jinx