Semi newbie pre-launch questions

AcousticTX

Cadet
Hi all, <br /><br />I am getting my boat ready for the lake next weekend and I gotta few questions...<br /><br />1. The motor has not been run in about 4 months. I am going to change the lower unit oil, plugs and start it with some muffs before I head out. Anything else I should check? <br /><br />2. I am considering a slip with a lift for the next several months. I'd like to get some opinions on this before I dish out the $$$.<br /><br />Thanks in advance :D <br /><br />-Jake

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Semi newbie pre-launch questions

Looks to me like you got the bases covered.

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Might want to check battery before day you plan on cranking engine on muffs. I had a similar plan last spring and on a Sat morning went out to crank it on muffs and do other things you mention. Yep, battery was too weak to crank it. So, I had to charge it for a few hours. If I had tested battery or just threw it on charger day before, I would have gotten the early start I planned.

boatingfool

Chief Petty Officer

Give everything a once over.<br />Make sure tilt & trim work.

magster65

Commander

Put the plug in. I used to try and use all the systems on the boat (try all the buttons) and if it's cold I'd warm it up at home first. It's nice once you launch to just start and go. If you're leaving it in for a while, all the above advice is good... make sure your bilge pump is working too. You've got it covered :) Happy boating