Selling my vintage outboard but for how much?

jon_boat

Cadet
Hey guys, I've got a 1957 Gale 12hp outboard. I'm wanting to sell it but I have no idea what to sell it for. It was rebuilt 3 years ago and then set in storage. It runs like a dream. It needs the seal replaced behind the prop (not sure what its called), new lower unit oil, and the water impeller replaced, which I will include with the motor. How much does something like this usually run? I would like to get enough out of it to buy a small trolling motor and a cheaper depth finder. I included a pic of it to help out. Thanks for any help.

Sorry if image is too big, I can't figure out how to downsize.

boatmotor.jpg

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Selling my vintage outboard but for how much?

No offense but looking like that I wouldn't give over 50. I'd get a $5.00 can of krylon and some sandpaper and add another $100 to that.

jon_boat

Cadet

No offense but looking like that I wouldn't give over 50. I'd get a $5.00 can of krylon and some sandpaper and add another $100 to that.

I had actually thought of that. I have some silver left over from another project.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Silver won't cut it, pick a color from that vintage of motor and do a good job.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i say leave it alone. painting, looks like you are hiding something.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

It would also help if you knew exactly what it was. The cowling is Evinrude 15/18 style, not Gale. It's possible someone replaced the clamp bracket assembly with one from a Gale - all came from the same manufacturer...

CATransplant

Admiral

i say leave it alone. painting, looks like you are hiding something.

I agree. There's no point in doing a lousy paint job, and the typical "I'm selling this thing" rattle-can paint job is almost always a lousy paint job. It's just one more coat for the next owner to remove.

A much better idea is to replace that propshaft seal, clean the outboard up as much as you can, and make sure it starts easily. That will sell it faster than anything else.

In any case, don't plan your retirement on the proceeds from the sale. A really nice example of this, whether it's a MW 12 or a OMC 15/18 of that vintage will be worth only a couple hundred more or less. Plenty of them around.

MushCreek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The guys at AOMCI get cranky if you discuss price (I often wondered why?) What they will tell you is that it's worth a lot less than you think it is, and money you put into it won't return much. I've paid up to $200 for a motor like that IF I really wanted it, and I've had people tell me I'm crazy. Here in FL, it's hard to find old iron that isn't a salty dog, so we pay a bit more, or pay double to have it shipped here, hopefully in one piece! Motors that aren't painted with the exact right color tend to scare me away, and I'd just have to strip it and re-paint it anyway.

wbeaton

Commander

The fellas at the AOMCI (myself included) don't like to answer questions about value because it is so subjective. People often get mad when you tell them their outboard is next to worthless or they argue about it. Also, if people thought they could get "free" assessments over there we would be bombarded with value questions. There is no benefit to answering these questions only problems.

Gale's command less money than Johnson/Evinrudes. However, yours could pass as an Evinrude. I suspect it is a Gale judging by the single line fuel connector and carb knobs. The cowl appears to be from a 1958 Evinrude 18 hp. The tiller handle matches the 1958 Evinrudes, but was probably the same one used on the Gales.

The fact is, OMC outboards from the 1950-60's have little actual value even in Florida. We have lots of members there, too. There is no way I could get $200 CDN for that motor where I live. Perhaps +/- $100 if I could prove its running. Even then it would still be hard to get that much. A collector isn't going to pay much more than $50 for it especially when you consider that its a mis-match of parts. Anglars associate good cosmetics with good condition so it may be hard to sell based on that alone, but they are your target market. In which case, they won't be so hung up on the fact that its the wrong colour or cowl.

Its your motor so ask whatever amount you want. So what if you don't get it. If you want $200 then put it in at $225 obo and see what happens. I see motors like yours come up for sale with bigger price tags all the time. But if you want top dollar then be pepared to hold onto it for awhile.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

If you want to sell it, you must do some market research first...in other words, what are similar motors bringing in your area...it can vary greatly according to location. Up here where I live...the high and dry Great Plains, where boatable water is scarce, I would give up to $125 for such a motor if I could see it run, confirm compression and check the LU for contamination. That's more than others in 'green' lands would pay, because water and all that goes with it is commonplace there. It is only worth what it will bring in your market on the day you sell it.