Selling Educational Books????

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
When I came home yesterday there was a station wagon in my driveway. Not recognizing it and knowing that there should be no one visiting I purposly parked so the wagon couldn't leave. As I walked to the house two young men came from the front walkway to their car and I said "Hello, can I help you with something?" and they said they were selling educational books for school children. I heard my 5 yr old daughter calling my name excitedly so I said to them "I'll be right with you." and left them standing there as I went to see my wife and kids just to be sure everything was OK (boy am I suspicous or what???). My daughter was excited because she just made a pizza for me and wife was busy arranging furniture in family room. She said those guys wanted to sell books and that they were really pushing religous stuff by (I think) the Jehova's Witnesses and she just wanted them out of here. I go back outside and the two men are standing there waiting for me to move my car and looked at the floor and said "Im sorry... really sorry". I told them that they are nothing more than a nuisance. I asked them if they had a permit from the police to be selling door to door. No Permit? Maybe you want to wait while I call them up? I also told them that people don't like the interruption, don't like their brand of religion, and folks might let the dogs out if you ignore the "private" and "no solicitations" signs on the driveway. They apologized again and then I moved my car and let them leave.<br /><br />Why do these types believe that people have the slightest interest in what they want to sell? If they want to "convert" people, they should go to a shelter where people need help and some direction. Anyone who thinks that they are going to go door to door selling religion in my neighborhood and be successful is seriously misguided. Do you think these guys feel good about what they did at the end of the day? God, I hope not.

Stratosfied

Ensign
Re: Selling Educational Books????

Let me state that I respect anyones practice of religion. However, I have a funny to add about several JW women going to a mans home one morning off of the graveyard shift. They knocked, 4 of them, and he allowed them in. They went thru their 'program', and then they requested a little $$ for the material. No problem ladies, allow me to go gather it. He returned butt naked and they left screaming and have never bothered him again. Talk about a "love offering". Actually the sherrif was called on him. Absolute true story.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Mark, I have slammed the door in these peoples faces numerous time.<br /><br />I even slammed the door in the guys face as he was trying to cram a welcome basket in my hands. He wouldnt take no for an answer.<br /><br />It is insulting for them to think that their religion is superior to mine and they HAVE to convert me.<br /><br />Ken

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Mark,<br /> Don't you see you need saving?? And since your too busy taking care of your family, seeing to their needs, to spend any time getting your church'n in with them, their kind enough to bring it to you. Now ain’t they thoughtful. ;) ;)

Frankhanhart

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh boy, you got those kind overthere too??<br />Peace on you, Mark<br />Frank

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

I have never been bothered by Jehovas Witnesses while I have lived in this house. The reason, there is a family of them living 2 doors down from me (very nice people) and they do not canvass door to door on thier own doorstep, nor have they ever tried pushing religion when I have chatted to them in the street.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Frank Hanhart:<br /> ....Peace on you, Mark<br />Frank
Watch it there, Frank. That sounds an awful lot like preachin' to me. :D

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Been there, heard that.<br />Neighbors were JW when I was a kid.<br />When JW would come to the door, we would wave at them thru the window. (sorry-kids can't answer the door to strangers)<br /><br />As I got older and moved out on my own, they came to visit every month.<br />When I was working in the yard, mud and concrete up to my elbows, ofcourse I would shake their hand if they held it out.<br />Afterall, thats why they extended their hand.<br />I would offer them drinks-beer, and answer the door in my underwear, or with a playboy in my hand.<br />Nothing seemed to phase them.<br />Tried hanging a cross on the front door, they still came.<br /><br />But I NEVER let them into my house and never took their literature.

Frankhanhart

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mark, see that my fly got a wonderfull rise out of you :D <br />Take care<br />Frank

Link

Rear Admiral

JW's you got to love em.. according to their religion only like 144,000 are going to make to heaven anyway.. so why in 2005 are they still trying anyway?? They ARE SCREWED!<br />Have a very good freind who still caint answer this.. <br /><br />But he is still a JW.. Arrrg.. Fools.. <br />Have they not watched SG1 :)

Holdimhook

Chief Petty Officer

Ever notice that most people who want to tell you their religious views aren't interested in listening to yours? :confused: Go figure.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Over here we do see JW's a bit, and always seems to have a disabled person in a wheel chair or kid in a push-chair. Can't work out why.<br />The most obvious are the Mormons. Real easy to pick too. They wear long sleeve white shirts and tie, ride pushies, have an American accent and all call you "sir". I understand they come here for missionary service or something. Struck them a few times. Not bad kids really. Probably just killing time till they can go home.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Originally posted by roscoe:<br /> Been there, heard that.<br />Neighbors were JW when I was a kid.<br />When JW would come to the door, we would wave at them thru the window. (sorry-kids can't answer the door to strangers)<br /><br />As I got older and moved out on my own, they came to visit every month.<br />When I was working in the yard, mud and concrete up to my elbows, ofcourse I would shake their hand if they held it out.<br />Afterall, thats why they extended their hand.<br />I would offer them drinks-beer, and answer the door in my underwear, or with a playboy in my hand.<br />Nothing seemed to phase them.<br />Tried hanging a cross on the front door, they still came.<br /><br />But I NEVER let them into my house and never took their literature.
The best way to keep them away...<br />Display the Flag.<br />They used to show up once a week at my Dad's house. We heard this advice and put a paper flag in the door window.<br />We never heard from them again.<br /><br />AK Chappy<br />(Stuck in CA)