selling a boat to upgrade, well maybe ?

I have a 1991 mariah mx diablo 18' 3.0 mercruiser alpha one. new bellows, plugs, fuel line, impeller, gimble bearing, trim switches. trailer has new tires new axle, repainted with 4 coats of rustoleum, and new electric breaking system. this boats is primetime ! But, as we all do, i am looking to get a bigger boat and maybe get an outboard setup. I think Nada is low balling me big time. its saying 3,200 as top price when i put over 1,000 in new stuff. and the trailer is practically brand new. I was thinking 6,000.00 for the whole setup. what do you guys think ?

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: selling a boat to upgrade, well maybe ?

You don't get money back on maintenance items. The boat is 19 years old. The owner is supposed to keep up with that stuff.

Seems like you're also expecting a big premium on the trailer. Even if it's "like new" as a buyer I'd rather buy a new one than pay you anywhere near the same price for a restored one. The work you've done will make it all easier to sell, but not necessarily more valuable.

What is in your favor is that the rig sounds like it's all turn-key, and you're in peak buying season.

Good luck with your sale.

jr boater

Recruit

I agree with JoLin.
For $2500, I just bought a 1996 bayliner capri 1950 with 3.0 mercruiser. It was sitting on a 2 year old aluminum trailer the prior owner purchased for $1800 (he still had the receipt). Some of the seats are starting to show signs of splitting and will need to be redone in a few years, but otherwise the boat was in perfect shape. I got covers, life jackets, skis, ropes, fish finder, vhf radio, etc.. all included.

NADA is for buyers as well as sellers. I looked at the values on NADA before I even called about the boat. As I am sure anyone looking at your boat will do. I realize I got a steal, but there were several steals out there when I was looking.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

NADA is only a guide and IMO often very far off on watercraft. I have found Craigslist seems to be the best guide to gage the local market.

PitchFork

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nope I bought my 1994 350 Mag 19' Chap for $7k three years ago. You can list it higher than NADA and allow some wiggle room. Just remember their are suckers born every minute. Try it at a higher price for a couple of weeks or can always lower the price.

Philster

Captain

It's worth whatever someone is willing to spend on it. But... considering the market, the chances are low someone will pay 6 g's for it.

If care is evident, it would put the boat into a faster/easier sale, and at the higher end of the price range... which in this case still isn't 6 grand.

What you put into it is irrelevant to jacking the price above the guides... and it was sort of considered when the book value was created anyway. You just go a little above the high price listed by the guides and come down to the actual high-end guide price when accepting offers.

That should be your approach if you feel you have a top tier boat.

But you can't go off the charts...

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Its going to be listed at 6k for a LONG, LONG time. Not going to say it isn't going to sell, but it is far above market price. my suggestion would be start at 4500, no lower than 3 max.

cheetah90

Seaman

:eek:Wow $6000 is asking WAY too much! The nada price is a bit on the high side too, If its clean and everything is in working order $2500 obo would be a good starting price. I just bought my boat 1990 18ft 3.0 merc/alpha one. on a 1992 e-z load trailer for $1,100, all it needed was a good cleaning. I did change the bellows, gimble bearing, shift cable and fluids for a piece of mind. and if i was to sell it today i would put it up for $2000 and take best offer. just my 2 cents.

BuckyBadger

Seaman Apprentice

In our area NADA seems to be quite a bit below the current market, not 2X as high though. I would compare a few boats that are currently available in your area against NADA and go from there. Also, these are the boats that potential buyers will be comparing yours against.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

It's a 20 year old boat with the base motor. $3500 tops.