Seller said it came from factory that way ? Doubt it

al1026

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1995-24 ft 1995 Bahia WO cuddy ,
Seller says it has a Mercruiser 4.3 - 6 cylinder
Volvo Penta duo prop drive
questioning seller claims it came from factory that way ?
Never heard of that
Years ago when I was repowering my 30 footer shop had a deal on Mercrusier engines using my volvo penta drives Declined - felt it was mix matching

alldodge

Staff member
Don't know the boat but manufactures can do what they want even if its wrong. If it had a V8 prior there would be signs that the motor mounts were moved

tpenfield

Staff member
Not familiar with Bahia . . . but I see that there is a FB page. It probably did not come from the factory as a 'Frankenstein-motor'. 4.3 engine vs. 24 feet does not sound like a good match . . . more boat than engine.

Sounds like you are asking a question . . . What advice or guidance would be looking for?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Sellers are tryin' to sell, 'n will say anything to get 'er done,.....

Never seen, nor heard of a boat manufacturer ever mixin', 'n matchin' different driveline manufacturers before,.....

Bein' a repower, it depends on how it was done, 'n how much is still Volvo, 'n how much is still Merc,....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Yep no reputable boat company would spec a 4.3 in a boat that big, and if it’s a Merc sourced long block they probably just swapped enough Volvo stuff onto it to make it work (like the bell housing and maybe front mounts). You might see a black Merc motor with a grey or red (94-99 grey, 2000 & up red) Volvo bell housing. Walk away from that one, grossly underpowered….

al1026

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My thoughts exactly , proberly a hack job , just too unload telling me anything i wanted too hear just too sell
Seller says Im selling for the wife , husband died , I know little about boat ,
Topic never came up and I never considered a boat with mix & match but I indicated in my original post a local dealer was willing too install mercruiser using my volvo drives , He had a deal on crate mercruisers , , I passed ,
Sold my 30 foot cabin cruiser 6 monhts ago , Got tired of that big boat just sitting in a wet slip , stunk for fishing ,
Trying too down size too a clean , reasonable priced , good condition
WA cuddy trailer fishing boat . SO FAR , no luck

tpenfield

Staff member
This does not sound like a boat that you want to pursue. Move onto the next boat.

Do make sure the seller has the proper paperwork to prove that they own it, particularly if a 'seller' is selling for someone else (who passed away, etc., etc.)