Sell a Boat without a title?

astrobass1

Cadet
About 12 years ago I purchased a boat from an older friend of mine that had told me news that he had cancer.He wanted to sell off his Toys so his wife would'nt have to I purchased it with a Georgia Bill of sale with the Price, HIN #both parties signature and a Witness.
my friend Died within a month of the sale and his Widow never found the Title.She did find where he purchased it with the payment balance was 0 she gave it all to me,with the trailer tag receipt, now I am ready to sell it but with only my bill of sale.I Have heard that in the state of Georgia you can sell a boat with a bill of sale with no problem but what if I want to obtain one for the new buyer where do I go?

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sell a Boat without a title?

hi....

im a canadian so i have little relevant information for you.

however i would go to the local licensing place and ask them.

this is not the first time they have run into this.

sorry to hear about your friend

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Seek local legal and official advice. Who ever is the executor of the estate can probably request a title.

Georgia does not title boats. You issue a bill of sale (which is supposed to be notarized) and give the buyer the registration card, that's all he needs to obtain a new registration in his name. There's a standard bill of sale form online, poke around the Georgia DNR site and you should be able to find it.

tpenfield

Staff member

Were you ever able to register the boat in GA? If so, you may be able to get a title . . . otherwise it is back to your friend's next of kin/executor to see if they can get a copy of the title or have one issued, if it never had a title.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The registration is in your name? After 12 years, it should be. Get the BOS (link) form from the GA DNR and sell the boat. Give the buyer the BOS and old registration card. After the new owner pays you. Don't forget to let GA DNR know that you sold the boat or you are still liable for anything regarding the boat. Piece of cake. No title needed. Same for the trailer - BOS and current registration.