Self Bailing Deck - Ok to plug the holes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigar_stub

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My 19' Bay Stealth (VIP) center console has a self bailing deck. Is it OK to plug the holes on days when water getting into the boat isn't an issue? For example, I took a friend and his two young boys out yesterday and as we both sat in the rear of the boat, watching the boys fish water seeps into the boat from the holes (one on the port side, one on the starboard side). It just makes everthing wet when there doesn't seem to be a need for it.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Self Bailing Deck - Ok to plug the holes?

sure, they make the correct plugs.

cigar_stub

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Tash, I thought it should be ok. In fact I was in a Bass Pro shop in Alabama yesterday and should have looked for those plugs.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I guess it depends on what you are talking about. My first thought was do not plug. Out here many boats with walk thru windshields have a open bow and a sea wall under the window. So if your get green water on the bow with the window closed you do not want it to hold water. The drains on both sides should be open and are at least 1.5 foot above the water. If you plugged you would have a swimming pool going into the next breaker and would take on a lot more water. Also most self bailing boat I know the floor is at least a foot above the water line and a good self bailing scruffer will get the water out a lot faster than a bilge pump. It sounds like you may be talking about something completely different. Inland You likely do not need self bailing unless it is a very large lake.

Bodega Bay Weather May 7 2008
Winds NW 320 degrees true at 27.2 knots with gusts to 33 Knots, Sea Temperature 48.4 Degrees F
Seas 13.5 feet every 10 Seconds, Chop 6.7 SEC, Swell steepness = steep
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=46013

MAC11

Cadet

You should have 'flaps' over the scupper/drain holes to stop the water from coming in. They dont stop 100 % of the water, but they are very helpful. One model out has a clear plastic housing w/a ping pong ball in it. I've found them to work well.

MAC11

Cadet

PS You can get them at West Marine (online)

cigar_stub

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The self bailing holes in my boat just slightly above the water line and completely open. So if two or three people (the boat is rated for 9) are in the rear, water comes in. There are no flappers, although the ping pong ball thing sounds reasonable.

reelfishin

Captain

I had an older Hydro Sports that had huge self bailing scuppers with rubber flaps, the hole size was about 3 1/2" or so. The deck was about 8" above the water with four guys fishing at the rear of the boat but in rougher water, waves slapping up against the back of the boat would take on water and if everyone moved to one rear corner to land a big fish, that scupper would allow water in as is dipped below the surface. I've seen the ping pong ball type scuppers, they look like a great idea. However when I owned that boat, what worked for me was to simply plug them while anchored and unplug them while underway.
Not having a plug that size I simply used two soft rubber balls that were easy to get in and out. (I used a towel for a long time before I finally found something better).

If your boat is that low in the water, I'd look into why, most boats with scuppers have plenty of freeboard and don't have a major issue with scuppers. Part of the problem on my boat was created by an increase in motor size. (I added a second 175 hp V6 outboard to make full use of the boats max hp rating). Prior to the motor changes, the problem was nearly non existent.
Saturated foam or water in the bilge can also create such a concern.

Frugal Floater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Real Fishin...You took the words out of my mouth...If water is coming in when people are confined to the back, then I am betting you are over capacity. My 18" SeaPro will gurgle some water in the livewell only when there is about 600 lbs of body weight all on the back with the addition of my kicker motor and a full tank of gas...Never has water come up through the drain holes. It may be that the manufacturer did not allow a lot of tolerance, but it is worth checking out the wet foam theory or if you are at/over max motor specs. You could consider shifting any weight to the front (any trolling battery, etc..).

I would not be a fan of plugging the deck drain as my bow dived under a swell one time and without those drains, bad things could have happened.

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

In my case, I was not overloaded, I just had a stern heavy set-up. I plugged mine for the last 4 years I owned it. Bilge pump handled any intruding water. Does that defeat the purpose of a self-bailer...sure, but that was the least of my reasons for buying the boat to begin with. You will not hurt anything by plugging them, just make sure you put in a good auto bilge pump. If you are heading into 4' seas...pull the plugs.

Frugal Floater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know with my boat, any water that comes into the boat goes to 2 drains that are piped back to the holes in the transom. At no point does the water enter the bilge so relying on the bilge pump would not be a good idea as water would have no way out...Not sure if this is the case with his boat though.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Might be time for a picture or two.

Intuition Gloucester

Seaman Apprentice

I have a Robalo 19 wiht new scuppers (replacing the ping pong balls) and water comes into the stern. There is a 4 x 4 indention in the deck for the water to accumulate and about an inch sits in there when the boat is empty. I put a cork in it (1.5" hole) when I am working in the boat or underway. I take it out at the dock for the rain to exit.

Status
Not open for further replies.