Selectric/Electromatic Switch Question

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well I have a 63 40hp evinrude selectric shift model outboard. The switch that I have is the Hydroelectric switch (i think) can someone confirm.<br /><br />My switch has marks;<br />"R" "N" and "+" <br /><br />I thought the selectric and electromatic have <br />"F" "R" and "+"<br /><br />Continuity results;<br />I get continuity between "+" and "R" when rev button is down.<br />I get continuity between "N" and "+" when Neutral button is down<br />I get no continuity between any posts when forward button is down.<br /><br />Also, if I do have the right switch or i end up getting a different one, should I bring power to the switch off the ignition switch. Should it be from ACC or from BAT?<br /><br />Thanks in advance guys,<br />Sal

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: Selectric/Electromatic Switch Question

rennen,<br /><br />Feed should be from acc.If from batt and the switch is in gear,the battery will drain. <br /><br />I believe you have the wrong switch.While OMC had some motors that were 'locked' in forward,and needed electricity to a solenoid to reach neutral,and electricity to another solenoid to reach reverse,all the 40 HP units I can recall were different.<br /><br />They had 2 electro-magnetic solenoids,one for forward,one for reverse.They magnetized a spring,which in turn grabbed the correct gear,putting the lower unit in forward or reverse.<br /><br />DHP

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah that's what I thought too. I called the dealer today, and they didn't know jack... I also tried some salvage yards (since they don't make them new anymore), one guy thinks he has the switch, but he isn't sure. 60 dollars all the same, so I think Ill use a generic three position switch. It will look a little funny in the old boat, but it wil work in the meantime while I wait to come across one.<br /><br />Thanks BTW<br />Sal

DHPMARINE

Captain

I don't know the average age of a marine mechanic. I would suspect young,under 30.AVERAGE .<br /><br />But I was 14 when they made your motor.And didn't know jack.Now a lot older,still haven't owned a boat.But I know how to get the numbers,parts and sometimes the solutions.<br /><br />DHP