seized plug in BF200---2003 engine --280 hrs

cebu97

Cadet
Just serviced my new (2003) boats Honda Bf200 and found one of the plugs is seized.

The Bf200 is a 2003 with about 280 hrs from Northern Washington.
The plugs were apparently never removed/cleaned/anti seize paste used on threads.....

The seized plug is #5......its usually #6 from what I've read and this is a common honda BF200/225 problem when plugs are not maintained.

I'm going to run my current plugs another 100 hrs or so and work on freeing
this plug.

Whats my best chance of freeing this plug?
Is there a penetrating lub(wd40,etc) to use on the plug after I run the engine
all day that might over time free it?

I'm a long time honda fan .....but this is not a good start.....sounds like
I'm looking at a $1200 head job to get that plug out??

Thanks

gss036

Commander
Re: seized plug in BF200---2003 engine --280 hrs

I would use BLASTER PB, it works much better than WD-40. Glad I read your post, I just ordered a new 225 HP Honda for my boat.

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

that is usually caused by a bad upper cowling seal or bad mating of the 2 pieces of the lower cowl...when you come off plane water comes up high on the rear of the motor,gets into the cowl in a hot environment and voila!...after you do get it fixed-make a habit of coating the motor with Corrosion Block :cool:

cebu97

Cadet

ZZZZZ,

The list of WATCHOUTS on these Honda's is growing in my book.

You've just added another new one for me......
'bad upper cowling seal or bad mating of the 2 pieces of the lower cowl'
allowing water in causing corrosion.

You responded to Sumrsalt about his BF225 water coming through his exhaust
by referring to Honda Outboard bulletin #56......

In the same thread another Honda Outboard bulletin #62 was an update to exhaust horns to prevent water coming in.

Where do I find all these Honda Outboard bulletins?

sumrsalt

Cadet

As a customer, you can't find the bulletins! We've searched the Honda website and the internet for these bulletins, and Honda has never sent any bulletin notices to us as a consumer. Obviously with at least 62 bulletins on this engine, you'd think there would be some recourse. With service bulletin after service bulletin, why was this engine not recalled?

We've cut our ties, and will be back in the water on Wednesday April 23, 2008 with a 225 Evinrude E-tec. at a great loss.

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

cebu97-'Salts right - as a customer you can't - dealers only....sumrsalt - there weren't 62 bulletins on THAT motor - thats 62 bulletins since 1991 on ALL their motors !!...not a bad record for 17 years ! ...some manufacturers put out LOTS more...I sympathize with your plight - had you been one of my customers I'd have fought tooth and nail for ya' !...on the other hand- we are also an Evinrude ETec dealer so in the long run you'll get just as quiet,as clean burning,as fuel efficient of a motor with your new ETec :cool:

45Auto

Commander

Best "magic juice" I know of is KROIL. It's the only one in my personal experience that I've seen actually work.

I would keep the plug soaked in KROIL for a while and try to work it back and forth a little at a time if possible.

gss036

Commander

cebu97 Let us know how things turned out for you. I am very interested since I have a new 225 HP Honda on order. Hopefully get it installed within the next 2 weeks.

sumrsalt

Cadet

cebu97, Just wanted to respond with what I have experienced with my 2002 bf225 with only 160 hours on it. Upon trading in the engine I was told by the techs that the engine failed the leak-down test with one cylinder being bad, metal chips in the oil pan and also metal chips in the lower-unit fluid.
They told me that my engine would have seized if run again and because of their findings they would not resell as is but take it in trade for parts only. What
Honda will not tell you is that they do not use anti-seize on the spark plugs from the factory. These plugs should be pulled every 10 hours or so and be smothered in anti-seize if you ever wanted to get any life out of these engines. You can not rely on what the owners manual says about 200 hours service because by that time it is way too late. I spent five summers and over 16,000 dollars wasted on what I now know to be a very poorly designed engine, I hope you do not do the same. Sumrsalt.