Seized gears ?

Danny_P_G

Seaman Apprentice
I bought an outboard 33hp 1967 Johnson , I cant move the gears at all ive tried moving the fly wheel and putting it in gear at the same time but the gear shaft is solid ,no movement at all ! the engine starts ok though !<br /><br />I found water and sludge in the gear oil ! I am missing something that i need to know about the gears on this ( lock on or something ) ?? i havent tried putting it in gear while its runnung as , but i am sure it wont work anyway !!! Is this doom and gloom ?<br /><br />Thanks

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: Seized gears ?

This is the one with the crack in the l/u right? It sounds to me like this case has serious problems. You may want to go ahead and remove the cap to investigate. At least pull the lower unit off and make sure it's not the engine that's locked.<br /><br />Fortunately, many different years & hp engine's l/u fit yours. You can usually get a good used one off ebay relatively cheap.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

sound like the lower unit is rusted up. time to replace.

Danny_P_G

Seaman Apprentice

I thing something like " rusted up " has happened ! Its not that simple for me to replace parts as i live in the UK and its not very easy to get hold and parts ! ive been waiting for my manual for a week and a half !<br /><br />When you say replace is it a big job ? is there anyway you can sprip down, clean up and re assemble ?<br /><br />Cheers Guys

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Danny like Paul said, take off the lower unit. verify that the power head is not seized. then you can tear into the lower unit and see the condition. there are a lot of parts that could be rust damaged, bearing, gears, shafts, the cracked housing. suggest you get freindly with ebay motors, boat parts section. i realize you are at a disadvangage because of your location, and parts availiability. i have a '55 15hp evinrude i dearly love. good luck

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Depends Danny on how badly it's "rusted up". Very light oxidation can be wire brushed off the gears and dog and can be reused. Key areas are the splines on the prop shaft, sealing areas on the prop shaft and where the gear bushings ride on the prop shaft.<br /><br />You won't really know until the lower unit is disassembled and you can get a look at the insides. Not a difficult job. Hope your manual shows up soon..... :(