seized axel on a trailer

mar t gray

Cadet
just moved into a new home and low and behold way out in the back yard (5+ aceres) buried in a bush is a trailer so i pulled the bush out and hooked up the trailer to pull it out and found that the axel is seized what can (I) Do myself to fix this <br /><br />i don't know the make or model of this trailer but it's 4'W x 20'L and has a single axel w/brakes

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Re: seized axel on a trailer

Load it down on pavement and go back and forth till it free's itself. <br /><br />Or take a torch to the U bolts and replace "axle complete".

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

With brakes? Maybe it's the brake that seized, or more likely a bearing. Axles dont turn, therefore can't seize.<br /><br />Good luck. :) <br /><br />Tear it down and see.

mar t gray

Cadet

well i tried rolling it back and forth quickly found out that thats not going to work. so ask my machanic and he suggested taking a sledgehammer to the rims and seeing if i could free them up so i tried that and outside of beating the crap out of the rim i did manage to get it to move. ABOUT 2" and i'm sure if i continue to beat it it will eventually free it's self up the question is SHOULD I CONTINUE or does anyone have any other ideas i may try?????????<br />ty<br />marty

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes<br />What your mechanic should have told you, remove the axle nut, and bearing, then try removing the wheel from the trailer.

ndemge

Commander

I'd strip it apart right where it sits.<br /><br />either bearing or brake is seized.

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer

yaa i agree. u need to take it apart eather way so u might as well save your back and just take it apart now and see what u need to make it right. might just need some seals, bearings, and races about 20 buxs and u might have a good trailer. dont know what u wanna use it for but if u are gonna make a utility trailer out of it i would get ride of the brakes they might be too far gone for saving anyway.

brother chris

Commander

I agree with others here, strip it down where she is and take the bearings out and check them.

mar t gray

Cadet

Freed up one side after beating the crap out of it. The othersides a different story. I was able to get the hub off and removed the codder pin & nut exposeing the bearings i'll W-D 40 them and (what kind of) grease them back up. but i'm unable to budge the other hub used a strap wrench to no avail......what else should i be looking for do i only need to free them and regrease or is there more i need to do??????????????

djvan

Chief Petty Officer

I would definitely replace the bearings, races, seals and possibly the hub too. Use a marine type wheel bearing grease, unless your are going to use only on land, then just use a regular wheel bearing grease.<br /><br />DougV>

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you can go to Auto Zone and get a can of their rust remover, lub. I can't remember the name but it is in a 2 tone brown can. I have tried everything on the market and this stuff is the best for breaking loose rusted parts.<br />If you can get the outer bearing out after removing the nut, drown the inner bearing with the spray, let it sit for a day, drown it again and the hub should come off. But if you are having this much problem the bearings are rusted and as "djvan" said everything inside needs to be replaced, and unless you have the tools that is going to be a job. Were the bearings rusted on the side that you dissembled?